News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which Screamer?

Started by nzCdog, September 25, 2023, 12:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Hello all... overdrive suggestions please!

I've always been a big fan of the old Ibanez TS808. But want to try something with a slightly less exaggerated mid-range?  I guess also with not too much bass response, because I like how the TS808 stacks and tightens up my lead tone.  Guess I'm after something with a different mid-range flavor. Your thoughts? :)

mauman

The Nobels ODR line are some of my faves, you can hear demos on YouTube.  Very flexible, and less of a mid-hump than a TS.  Brian has an ODR-1 (Laureate) with added bass roll-off (a very useful mod) here at Madbean.   

Or for something completely different, try the Ibanez MT-10 Mostortion, with 3-band EQ (Madbean Misfit), I like it even better than the ODR-1, and it's even more flexible.

nzCdog

Quote from: mauman on September 25, 2023, 01:00:40 AM
The Nobels ODR line are some of my faves, you can hear demos on YouTube.  Very flexible, and less of a mid-hump than a TS.  Brian has an ODR-1 (Laureate) with added bass roll-off (a very useful mod) here at Madbean.   

Or for something completely different, try the Ibanez MT-10 Mostortion, with 3-band EQ (Madbean Misfit), I like it even better than the ODR-1, and it's even more flexible.
Sweet thanks for the suggestions... will check out some demos

Hefty

Cory, you still rockin that 18 watt Trinity Amp with the scumbacks you built?

I had a BYOC 855 Drive pcb that I populated 5 years ago but never boxed up, or even tried to see how it sounded. It is like the Ibanez & Maxon OD-855.  I had given my tubescreaner clone to a friend  a couple of years ago because I stopped using it.  I had a friend asking if I could build him a Tube Screamer. I looked in mt project box to see if I had a TS board and saw the populated BYOC 855 board. I boxed it up. The more I used it the more I liked it. I an keeping it on the pedal board. Got to find something for the friend.  It does pretty much what you are looking for. I use it with the my Trinity 18 watt with the same scumbacks you recommened to me many years ago. Sorry to mention another bulders PCBs

nzCdog

Quote from: Hefty on September 25, 2023, 04:34:22 PM
Cory, you still rockin that 18 watt Trinity Amp with the scumbacks you built?

I had a BYOC 855 Drive pcb that I populated 5 years ago but never boxed up, or even tried to see how it sounded. It is like the Ibanez & Maxon OD-855.  I had given my tubescreaner clone to a friend  a couple of years ago because I stopped using it.  I had a friend asking if I could build him a Tube Screamer. I looked in mt project box to see if I had a TS board and saw the populated BYOC 855 board. I boxed it up. The more I used it the more I liked it. I an keeping it on the pedal board. Got to find something for the friend.  It does pretty much what you are looking for. I use it with the my Trinity 18 watt with the same scumbacks you recommened to me many years ago. Sorry to mention another bulders PCBs

Hefty, I am still rocking the 18W!  How are you finding your build? 
Thanks for the suggestion, I have been largely ignorant of the the YATS family will check out he OD-855 :)

gordo

+1 on the Laureate.  My buddy, Buddy (no, I'm not being a smart ass) has been thru every screamer variant there is and is quite enamored with how well it cleans up.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

nzCdog

Quote from: gordo on September 26, 2023, 12:30:29 AM
+1 on the Laureate.  My buddy, Buddy (no, I'm not being a smart ass) has been thru every screamer variant there is and is quite enamored with how well it cleans up.
Thanks Gordo... and I'm sold! Just need to wait for the restock.  Might try the Misfit also :)

mauman

Quote from: nzCdog on September 26, 2023, 01:56:58 AM
Might try the Misfit also :)
Iffin you do, be sure to get the correct op amp too (CA 3260), it does make a difference in this one.

Hefty

Hefty, I am still rocking the 18W!  How are you finding your build? 
Thanks for the suggestion, I have been largely ignorant of the the YATS family will check out he OD-855 :)
[/quote]

I really love the dual threat of having the EL84 or the 6V6 options. No matter my mood I find a tone I am looking for. I didn't use pedals with it for a couple of years, just so much fun, then I statred trying pedals with it and a whole new world opened up. So to answer your question: Loving it 

Bret608

I built an 855 on an Aion board a few years back and still like it a lot. The one thing is that if you're using single coils you might have to dial the tone way back as it's pretty bright. That said, it sounds great with my all-Fender setup, so with humbuckers and something in the Marshall realm it would probably be even better!

jimilee

The 855 is pretty cool. The Vemuram screamer screams too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

More votes for the 855... I should breadboard this! My live rig is a blackface super, using both Humbucker and single coil guitars. Worked amazing with the TS808 until I changed up my pedal board.  :-\

Quote from: jimilee on September 26, 2023, 07:46:39 PM
The Vemuram screamer screams too.
I scream when I see Vemuram prices  ;D
Is there a diy project out there?

jimilee

Quote from: nzCdog on September 26, 2023, 07:56:26 PM
More votes for the 855... I should breadboard this! My live rig is a blackface super, using both Humbucker and single coil guitars. Worked amazing with the TS808 until I changed up my pedal board.  :-\

Quote from: jimilee on September 26, 2023, 07:46:39 PM
The Vemuram screamer screams too.
I scream when I see Vemuram prices  ;D
Is there a diy project out there?
Why yes there is. PPCB has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

WonkoTheSane

For Screamer circuits my favorite is the BBMB or BB+
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

nzCdog

Xotic effects BB+? Whats the other one? :)