News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pharaoh fuzz caps question

Started by dannoceti, May 16, 2015, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannoceti

I'm building the Big Muff Pharo from this schematic which shows .047uf coupling caps. I realized after I built it that to be more like the blackout effectors pharoah I need to change them to .47uf caps.  I ordered some from mouser (Epcos box film) but the shipping was delayed.  I wanted to ask the group what they thought about using .47uf multilayer ceramics (NTE) from my local electronics store? Should I wait for the mouser order or just pop these in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimilee

I'm not sure they would work, but they are noisy I've been told.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dannoceti

Thanks Jimlee, think I'll wait then

cooder

AFAIK the coupling caps in that schematic C5 C13 C3 should be 0.47uF and not as noted in schematic 0.047uF.
So the multilayer ceramics would be the correct value in those positions. Not sure if they are more noisy, but I prefer to use plastic film caps there.
BigNoise Amplification

lincolnic

Quote from: cooder on May 16, 2015, 08:21:10 PM
AFAIK the coupling caps in that schematic C5 C13 C3 should be 0.47uF and not as noted in schematic 0.047uF.
So the multilayer ceramics would be the correct value in those positions. Not sure if they are more noisy, but I prefer to use plastic film caps there.

Yeah, they're supposed to be 470n, not 47n. I opened up a friend's Pharaoh to check.

For coupling caps I would use film caps instead of ceramic.