News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boneyard volume pot issue

Started by tagwap, June 07, 2012, 09:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tagwap

I've just finished the boneyard and have an issue with the volume pot. All other pots and the entire effect works properly.

The volume pot seems to go from nothing then jumps to loud (more than unity) in the first 2% of travel and then for the last 98% of travel it hardly seems to adjust at all. maybe it gets a little louder. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be like this. How is everyone elses? can you go smoothly from no volume all the way up to max? I've used the 5KA as suggested in the build doc. This is the previous boneyard with the 3 footswitches.

Any suggestions?!

jkokura

What have you done for debugging thus far?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

tagwap

Nothing really. I'm not sure where to start as every other area of the pedal works as i'd expect it to.

I was just wondering how other peoples volume pot travels, and if it's something obvious like a faulty pot?! If there's anything obvious I can do to track down the fault then i'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.

jkokura

Have you read through this yet? http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

That post is full of all the tips and suggestions I'd give you, but to focus in a bit, it'd probably be a good place to start to check out things around your pot.

There are so many different potential issues with your board, it's hard to just say 'this is it.' Without at least some debugging steps taken by you and info given, we'd just be guessing.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

tagwap

Thanks for that. I'll attempt some of these troubleshooting steps.

I was really just wanting to double check that this is a problem and not simply that the vol pot on this project doesn't have much travel on it between min and max.

I'll troubleshoot and get back to you.

pryde

To answer your initial question, my boneyard volume does not behave that way. it has a fairly consistent rate as it is turned up. Good luck with troubleshooting.

mgwhit

On my bread boarded version, the volume comes up pretty quickly (but maybe not as fast as yours).  I keep it between 10-11:00 depending on how I have the gain tweaked, which is unity or slightly higher.  I haven't bothered to see how loud it can get, but I can tell you that noon is significantly louder than 11:00. 

I'd get that pot off the board and test it.

tagwap

I'm pretty embarassed to admit this but the pot was wired up wrongly!! The 2 and 3 wires were the wrong way around. I don't know how I managed this as i'm always so careful but due my then twisting the wires to keep it neat I didn't notice.

It all works great now and sounds fantastic.

Thanks for all the help and the advise on the tech help check first page. (particularly the don't assume anything is right' part!)

mgwhit

Good catch!  Have fun with it.