News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

glowbangbean

Started by alanp, October 12, 2013, 05:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Yes, another phaser.

Very natural sounding phaser, this one. Very natural. If I didn't have my Doppelganger, this would easily be ziptied onto the board tonight  8) (The stray ground wire stroking the injack on the stomp has been trimmed back.) Beats the hell out of the Stage Fright, easily.

I think the only non-Tayda parts in this are the PCB itself (Keefe), the TC1044SCPA, and the red knobs from SB.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

NIce build. I love mine. Can't see ever needing another phaser.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Ettore_M

Nice!! Well done! :)
I'd love a phaser, but never get around to building one..
What's this one? A Mutron 2?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

alanp

Ettore, it's a Mutron 2 phaser, project by Bangerang101 and laid out by Brian. I used Brian's univibe cap values, NOT the stock ones.

As for building a phaser -- I recommend opto phasers, with LDR's and LED's, since they sound better (to my ears) than the FET or OTA based ones (but the Smoothie Phase 45 is still pretty good!)

My favourite phaser list'd go as follows --
1. Doppelganger (king of the hill)
2. Nu-tron 2
3. Smoothie
5. StageFright (didn't do much for me in terms of actually liking it.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

It's an ota but what do you think about the Ross clones? I dig the 8 stage myself, but the 4 stage is a staple on my board til I get my doppelgänger built. I will be starting it this week for sure.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Matt

Next on my list to breadboard for sure.  Have to see how it compares to my Ross clone.  I havent found a match for it yet.  The Harbinger with .047 caps (if I remember right) comes close but I can't slow it down enough.
Matt

Ettore_M

Quote from: alanp on October 13, 2013, 02:39:29 AM
Ettore, it's a Mutron 2 phaser, project by Bangerang101 and laid out by Brian. I used Brian's univibe cap values, NOT the stock ones.

As for building a phaser -- I recommend opto phasers, with LDR's and LED's, since they sound better (to my ears) than the FET or OTA based ones (but the Smoothie Phase 45 is still pretty good!)

My favourite phaser list'd go as follows --
1. Doppelganger (king of the hill)
2. Nu-tron 2
3. Smoothie
5. StageFright (didn't do much for me in terms of actually liking it.)
I don't think I'll ever build a Doppelganger, but this one is possible. I listened to a few demos and I really like it! I think I'm gonna build this. Maybe a semi-SMD version. Etched or fabbed.. Maybe.

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam