News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Troubles

Started by tenwatt, December 06, 2011, 03:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

Quote from: Scruffie on December 08, 2011, 06:24:19 PMDoing Just C14 wont do anything, you have to do it in conjunction with R21 because together they form a... (this is the bit where you're meant to learn).

*Hint* Big Muff Tone Control Blends between them.

This is why your repeats became muffled when increasing R21 but not changing C14.
Ooh...

But what about the R11 & R12 mod.  Since Lace has done that with no change can we rule that out or should we just bite the bullet and do both mods?
Not too bright....

Scruffie

Quote from: tenwatt on December 08, 2011, 07:02:06 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on December 08, 2011, 06:24:19 PMDoing Just C14 wont do anything, you have to do it in conjunction with R21 because together they form a... (this is the bit where you're meant to learn).

*Hint* Big Muff Tone Control Blends between them.

This is why your repeats became muffled when increasing R21 but not changing C14.
Ooh...

But what about the R11 & R12 mod.  Since Lace has done that with no change can we rule that out or should we just bite the bullet and do both mods?
Actually I need to correct that statement, changing C14 alone will do something, it'll change the filtering, but you change them both to keep the sound the same but introduce more resistance before the BBDs.

Well I suggested 47k originally... I think that's about right, i'd need to see the equation on the compander datasheet but I don't have it to hand at the moment.

Do the R21 & C14 mod first, if the R11&12 mod didn't work for Lace... if that works a bit but not fully, then ty the R11&12 one.

Don't forget to keep adjusting your gains and biases when doing this.

You guys do know that a BBD will clip with a hot signal though yeah? If you whack a power chord with humbuckers (especially active!) it is going to clip.
Works at Lectric-FX

tenwatt

Quote from: ScruffieYou guys do know that a BBD will clip with a hot signal though yeah? If you whack a power chord with humbuckers (especially active!) it is going to clip.
I tested last night with a single coil Tele and random single notes would clip (and when I say clip I mean sound like the repeats were being ran through a Fuzz Face).  I turned on an OD and played single notes and it sounded BAAAAAAD.
Not too bright....

Scruffie

Quote from: tenwatt on December 08, 2011, 08:51:49 PM
Quote from: ScruffieYou guys do know that a BBD will clip with a hot signal though yeah? If you whack a power chord with humbuckers (especially active!) it is going to clip.
I tested last night with a single coil Tele and random single notes would clip (and when I say clip I mean sound like the repeats were being ran through a Fuzz Face).  I turned on an OD and played single notes and it sounded BAAAAAAD.
Nowww we're getting somewhere!

Only the repeats distort? Not the initial note? Then something is happening in the feedback path by the sound of it not the BBDs being slammed too hard.

Can I see your working voltages? As the previous were taken with problems.

That random single notes is concerning...
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

yea its just the repeats, the clean sound is fine.

im gonna be gutted if
a it ant be fixed or
b it needs lots of stuf changing. i find it really hard to desolder and im risking ruining my build the more i have to correct :(

tenwatt

Quote from: Scruffie on December 08, 2011, 09:38:20 PM

Only the repeats distort? Not the initial note? Then something is happening in the feedback path by the sound of it not the BBDs being slammed too hard.

What voltages do you want?  Do my trimmers need to be set a certain way before measuring?
Not too bright....

Scruffie

Quote from: tenwatt on December 09, 2011, 12:10:56 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on December 08, 2011, 09:38:20 PM

What voltages do you want?  Do my trimmers need to be set a certain way before measuring?
Nah, voltages as the trimmers are set.

The voltage of every pin of your ICs is what I want.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

mine above weretaken when working as it is now if that is any use.

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 09, 2011, 12:43:55 AM
Yes it does, there's something wrong with pins 10 & 11 of your Compander I think, the voltages seem far too high.

Can you try your Compander out your Aqua Puss (I assume that's working fine) and check again?
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

I got it! Pin 12 of the Compander, it's set to bias the output of the Compander and it's still set for 15V so the compander is putting too much signal back into the feedback path and clipping your delays!

Well at least I think that's what's going on and i'm not about to be an idiot when you both say that didn't help at all.

Right, try half the value of 11k (5k6, 4k7, something round there) and then try again.
Works at Lectric-FX

tenwatt

Quote from: Scruffie on December 09, 2011, 01:58:22 AM
I got it! Pin 12 of the Compander, it's set to bias the output of the Compander and it's still set for 15V so the compander is putting too much signal back into the feedback path and clipping your delays!

Well at least I think that's what's going on and i'm not about to be an idiot when you both say that didn't help at all.

Right, try half the value of 11k (5k6, 4k7, something round there) and then try again.
I'm sorry.  I'm confused.  Where should we try this 5k6/4k7?  I have all my voltages but I'll post them if this doesn't work.
Not too bright....

Scruffie

Quote from: tenwatt on December 09, 2011, 02:21:15 AM

I'm sorry.  I'm confused.  Where should we try this 5k6/4k7?  I have all my voltages but I'll post them if this doesn't work.
On Pin 12 of the Compander, R42, try either a 4k7 or 5k6.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

Ten watt your up dude. I'm scared o just completely ruin mine now.

MadeByMike

I'm about to start building this for v3205s and have been reading this thread with interest (and trepidation haha) - are you saying the 11k value of R42 is definitely wrong if building the V3205 for 9V operation?

LaceSensor

Quote from: Scruffie on December 09, 2011, 01:12:34 AM
Quote from: LaceSensor on December 09, 2011, 12:43:55 AM
Yes it does, there's something wrong with pins 10 & 11 of your Compander I think, the voltages seem far too high.

Can you try your Compander out your Aqua Puss (I assume that's working fine) and check again?

Fwiw I put the DMV commander in my ap and it was perfect. Not done the reverse swap.