News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TAPRECISE - Calibrated Tap Tempo with Presets, Subdivision and Modulation

Started by Marshall Arts, April 23, 2016, 07:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brejna

Quote from: Marshall Arts on September 13, 2016, 01:58:13 PM
Congrats! With my setup, I can go back from presets to tap tempo (of course) and also the delay control works (of course). I can only think of a mechanical/soldering cause (not questioning your outstanding skills, looking at your projects :-)). If software works on one chip, it reacts the same way on another chip... Please check...

Thanks, this is one of the best projects I did. I can confirm everything works on other chips too. Thanks again for sharing this, I will probably build another one :D

Aka180

So I've been struggling off and on with the project for a while now.  After I run the calibration, I downloaded the read_EEPROM and all my values are either zero or one. I did it a few times. I can hear the beeps though my amp and  as it runs the cal, I heard the repeats change. But it doesn't seem to work properly. After downloading the main code, I try to change the rate, the led flash change does change but the actual rate stays at an extremely short delay. The modulation works great though...quite a nice substitute for a light chorus effect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Aka180 on December 12, 2016, 01:54:19 AM
So I've been struggling off and on with the project for a while now.  After I run the calibration, I downloaded the read_EEPROM and all my values are either zero or one. I did it a few times. I can hear the beeps though my amp and  as it runs the cal, I heard the repeats change. But it doesn't seem to work properly. After downloading the main code, I try to change the rate, the led flash change does change but the actual rate stays at an extremely short delay. The modulation works great though...quite a nice substitute for a light chorus effect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

There must be something wrong in the way you set up the system during the calibration process - let's try to fix it:

Check, if you are using the latest version of the calibration software (attached).
Check solder joints on Pin A0 and R2 and Calib-1.

Follow the instructions in the manual for the setup of the delay:
• Set Delay Repeats to a high value, just before self-oscillation is perfect
• Set volume of repeats to UNITY GAIN (Repeats same volume as beep)
• If your Delay has a volume knob, set to unity gain as well
• Switch off any modulation, you may have
• Your guitar can stay plugged into input jack of the delay, amp can stay plugged into the output of the delay: You will hear the beeps and the delays over your amp
• Solder or clip the calibration wires to the delay input and output jacks
• Upload the "calibration" program.
• Wait until the preset LED turns from red to green. The calibration is done!

You can try the attached software to check, if taprecise works generally. It writes the relevant values of my delay to your eeprom memory (they will not be precise in your system, given the tolerances).

Let us know.

Marshall Arts

News on Taprecise: I had a dual-PT2399 (Madbean Deathclaw) lying around for quite some time now and since I started the Taprecise project (2014?), I always wanted to proove that you can use it with such a delay as well. Over the weekend, I added taprecise to my deathclaw delay and it works perfectly, which means that any dual-PT2399-delay can now be enhanced with precise tap tempo for delay times up to one second.

Still to do:

• As I dont have I don't have a MCP41050 (50k digital pot - deathclaw forsees a 50k pot for delay time adjustment) available, I need to adjust the calibrate program a little bit, if I use the MCP41100 (100k) digital pot. Otherwise, the calibrate routine will try to measure delay time beyond two seconds (which deathclaw obviously cannot provide)
  • Modulation does not (fully) work (yet). Manual setting of depth and speed work, but the routine to automatically set pleasant values depending on the chosen delay times needs to be reworked.
  • Documentation (as always).

Boba7

Hmmm a dual PT2399 with tap tempo, presets and modulation (I know you'll make it work) sounds very very promising!! :)

Leevibe

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Marshall Arts on February 20, 2017, 08:55:36 AM
News on Taprecise: I had a dual-PT2399 (Madbean Deathclaw) lying around for quite some time now and since I started the Taprecise project (2014?), I always wanted to proove that you can use it with such a delay as well. Over the weekend, I added taprecise to my deathclaw delay and it works perfectly, which means that any dual-PT2399-delay can now be enhanced with precise tap tempo for delay times up to one second.

Still to do:

• As I dont have I don't have a MCP41050 (50k digital pot - deathclaw forsees a 50k pot for delay time adjustment) available, I need to adjust the calibrate program a little bit, if I use the MCP41100 (100k) digital pot. Otherwise, the calibrate routine will try to measure delay time beyond two seconds (which deathclaw obviously cannot provide)
  • Modulation does not (fully) work (yet). Manual setting of depth and speed work, but the routine to automatically set pleasant values depending on the chosen delay times needs to be reworked.
  • Documentation (as always).

Everything is done and tested, modulation works, documentation and code updated, everything attached to this post. I will start a group buy now, should anybody be interested in a PCB, please reply there.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5vtgOg9bRJjN2NkdkVGTzdQRnc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5vtgOg9bRJjUGs3WE9McUcwMXc

bluescage

Marshall Arts

Quote from: bluescage on March 20, 2017, 03:11:18 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing. This is an impressive piece of work!

Welcome - I pulled so much knowledge from this community, it was time to give something back. I will put my deathclaw now in a large enclosure together with taprecise, this will most likely be all the delay I will ever need... well, until that bug bites me again ;-)

Link to group buy: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=25177.new;topicseen

Marshall Arts

Ok, I finally managed to put everything together in a dual PT2399 delay with tap tempo, modulation, presets... all the fancy stuff I mentioned above.

While I was doing that, I did some updates to the code, which is now available in version 2.5 - especially the modulation section was optimized, so there is always a nice mod touch, disregarding, which tempo you may tap in (up to 800 ms... could be a bit more, but I dont need more and the delays get really dirty after that). Documentation and code are updated (links above). I also cleaned up the code a bit for better readability for those who love to tweak it (learn Arduino - it's fun!). Everything under creative commons, so feel free!

Marshall Arts

The enclosure is for a "working musician", no time for fancy stuff here ;-). Oh yes, and the group buy for Taprecise PCB's is available...

Boba7

Yeah that looks awesome, great job! The guy is gonna be really happy I'm sure!

Marshall Arts

BTW - I am building an analog delay (DMM/MBP Total Recall) very soon and I am confident, that it will be controllable with taprecise as well: During the initial calibration, taprecise sets the digital pot that controls the delay time of the delay (in this case a 100k Pot) to a specific value. It than sends out a "Ping" and measures the resulting delay time. The result is a table with two collums: "Digital value of the digital pot" and "resulting delay time". It doesn't really matter, if the delay is the result of an analog or digital circuit...

Spacebass

Excuse me i was in the process of ordering for some projects and i have a doubt with the alp pots, i havent used these before, could you please tell me if some of these is the right one?
http://www.mouser.es/Electromechanical/Encoders/_/N-39xfc?Keyword=alps+ec12e+sw&FS=True

I havent seen one marked as SW
Thanks a lot
  Sergio

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Spacebass on July 11, 2017, 07:13:19 PM
Excuse me i was in the process of ordering for some projects and i have a doubt with the alp pots, i havent used these before, could you please tell me if some of these is the right one?
http://www.mouser.es/Electromechanical/Encoders/_/N-39xfc?Keyword=alps+ec12e+sw&FS=True

I havent seen one marked as SW
Thanks a lot
  Sergio

Sorry for the VERY late reply, havent been into pedal building recently... The encoders will work, try to get the ones with higher resolutions. They will allow for more precise settings. If too much spinning is required for required changes, you can always change the code to compensate for that (but you cannot do it vice versa ;-)).

Hope that helps.