News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Two Retrogrades, indentical issues

Started by DGWVI, February 12, 2023, 09:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGWVI

Except for the transformers and electrolytic types, I used identical values. Diodes are all 1N5817.
I've looked them over, and I think I have all the values correct. They pass signal, but I have to really dig in for them to respond.
I'm guessing I got a value or two wrong, but nothing's popping out

Voltages (they're almost identical for each)

Q1 - C 8.56
        B 8
        E 5.53

Q2 - C 9.14
        B 8.56
        E 3.20

Q3 - C 2.59
        B 3.20
        E 2.52

2N5087s and 2N4401s used

jimilee

Your voltages look way off as compared to the build doc. Have you checked your resistor and cap values? Also, no GEs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DGWVI

Quote from: jimilee on February 12, 2023, 10:31:28 PM
Your voltages look way off as compared to the build doc. Have you checked your resistor and cap values? Also, no GEs?

I've visually checked, and all values look correct.
When I get back home, I'll measure them

I do have some d9k and GAZ51, but meh. I've been using the 5817s in all of my recent octup builds, including another Retrograde I built recently, and haven't had an issue.

madbean

Are those two tantalums in parallel in the first pic? If so, you may need to put them back to back. Honestly, I'm not sure due to their sensitivity to voltages.

DGWVI

Quote from: madbean on February 12, 2023, 11:05:47 PM
Are those two tantalums in parallel in the first pic? If so, you may need to put them back to back. Honestly, I'm not sure due to their sensitivity to voltages.

They are parallel, as I didn't have any 220u tants on hand. They're 100u / 35v.

DGWVI

Soz I went over it again, measuring the values
of all the resistors, and noticed R11 was 1.3k. while that wouldn't be causing the issues, I did replace it with the correct 1.2k.

I've followed all the traces, and everything seems to go only where it's supposed to do I'm kinda at a loss at this point

gordo

I'm on the road right now so can't check my build but I remember agonizing over the orientation of PRI/SEC on the transformer.  I can't imagine that having an effect on voltages though.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

DGWVI

Quote from: gordo on February 13, 2023, 04:32:23 AM
I'm on the road right now so can't check my build but I remember agonizing over the orientation of PRI/SEC on the transformer.  I can't imagine that having an effect on voltages though.

Yeah, the transformer s shouldn't be effecting em. I do have them oriented according to the screen print and build doc. I've also bypassed them just in case they were somehow interfering.

It's almost like there's a messed up trace or short somehwere, but I can't see it. Q1 is especially baffling me. I can't see any reason why it'd be getting almost full voltage

jimilee

This doesn't have anything to do with voltage, but your effect in wire is connected to the jack in pad. It needs to go to the in pad at the bottom.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DGWVI

Quote from: jimilee on February 13, 2023, 04:21:11 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with voltage, but your effect in wire is connected to the jack in pad. It needs to go to the in pad at the bottom.

Nope, not on this one. Your suggestion was how I originally had it wired, and no input was getting to the effect

jimilee

Thank you, that's counterintuitive for sure.

DGWVI

Quote from: jimilee on February 13, 2023, 07:11:35 PM
Thank you, that's counterintuitive for sure.

Yep!  ;D
Totally threw me at first too

DGWVI

With the amount of issues I've had with various transistors lately, I really need to get a transistor tester.

I popped the 4401s out for for some 5088s, and BAM. Fuzz to my skull