News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Russian Hack Attempt on webstore

Started by chromesphere, March 14, 2022, 11:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys,

Just a heads up for anyone here that has a website / sells gear and probably a good time to review your security.

A real life example of Russian hacking activity I noticed while it was in action on our site recently. 

It looks like a pretty basic hack attempt (DDOS or maybe port scan). We'd never have more then ~10 guests on the site at any one time, which is what alerted me to the massive number of guests. All guests had the same IP address, repeated over and over, and surprise surprise, the origin was Russia. They did no damage at all, in fact as the activity was underway i checked responsiveness on the webstore and found absolutely zero detectable difference, so seems to be a pretty futile attempt really...

But, they could try more advanced attacks so make sure you have the proper security in place. 

Also, if you can, consider blocking that IP address that attempted hacking my store...My web guy is a bit of a genius with this stuff and he blocked the following ip address range:

QuoteI've put in a block for the 65535 ips in the range:
45.155.0.0 - 45.155.255.255

Anyway, hope it helps you all and prompts everyone to keep ontop of their security.
Cheers guys
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Jay.lingelbach

Dang. Glad everything is ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Philthy

Paul, They might me trying to buy some of their germanium transistors back. ;)

chromesphere

Quote from: Philthy on March 16, 2022, 11:49:07 PM
Paul, They might me trying to buy some of their germanium transistors back. ;)

Oddly, Russian germanium transistors have been popular lately :| Lets not judge their transistors.  Transistors dont kill people.   People kill people. 

All insensitivity aside, my heart goes out to the Ukrainian people, wishing them a peaceful resolution.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

madbean

Quote from: chromesphere on March 16, 2022, 11:57:23 PM
Oddly, Russian germanium transistors have been popular lately :| Lets not judge their transistors.  Transistors dont kill people.   People kill people. 

Actually, germanium transistors did kill me.