Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another chunk

Started by juansolo, October 10, 2011, 09:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Jaymz

Yea-ahh!

A couple of things to note on this one. Cleggy, who's pedal this is and who does all the finishing on these pedals, has been trying a new refinishing process. This is the first pedal to be finished in Envirotex instead of rattle can lacquer. It seems to be the way forward even though it went on a little thick on this one. Durable as hell (unlike auto lacquer) and the finish is excellent.

Also, wiring of the boogie is all. I've built one of these for me (orange wired one below) and Cleggy's (blue wired one) I took even more time on and minimized the wiring as much as I possibly could. As short a lengths as possible and as few parallel lines. The difference is staggering. I thought mine was quiet after the one I made on vero. It isn't after the blue one. That is SILENT. It's insane. I really CBA to take mine apart and re-do it, but they're nigh on identical other than the way I wired them and it's made a vast difference. Just worth bearing in mind to plan and really take your time on this project, it'll yeild better results.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

shawnee

Beautiful work!
Since this is such a high gain pedal, maybe shielded wire on the input and output would get the noise down on yours.?.?.?

jimmybjj

Pcbs no longer available

juansolo

Yeah, it'd probably help. though the blue wired one is using the same stuff as the orange and that's utterly silent. I reckon it's all the pot wiring under the board that's the issue. It's all quite long on the orange one. On the blue the Treb and Mid are actually board mounted with solid core (essentially). Vol and Gain are as short as I could make them and still get an iron in there. Only the Pres and Bass are at the wrong sides and longish. That's only because I'd have ended up with a wierd layout if I'd done them the other way...

As for levels of noise, mine isn't really bad enough to be worth the effort. Plus the decimator deals with it nicely anyhow.

nzCdog

That finish is superb... and I always liked that graphic, it deserved another pedal ;)

The ChunkChunk  I built was pretty quiet, especially when compared to say my Uproar pedal.  My wiring was far less tidy than I would have liked, but I was trying to keep the cable lengths short. You have VERY tidy wiring both times!  This is really an excellent distortion pedal circuit, I must build one for myself sometime. 8)

sgmezei

Beautiful builds man. I wish I could get my finishes to look like that.

They wiring is impeccable, kudos. Since you have built two, have you experimented with the Jfets at all? If so where would you recommend starting. I built it stock and was not crazy about it so I intend to tweak. Any advice?

Again, super clean, professional builds.

juansolo

Quote from: sgmezei on October 11, 2011, 06:31:10 AM
Beautiful builds man. I wish I could get my finishes to look like that.

They wiring is impeccable, kudos. Since you have built two, have you experimented with the Jfets at all? If so where would you recommend starting. I built it stock and was not crazy about it so I intend to tweak. Any advice?

Again, super clean, professional builds.

It's all about the trimmer tweakage. Mine are running at vastly different voltages, but sound very similar. The blue one has the first two stages below 4.5, third about 4.5 and 4th over. The orange one the first two are way over 4.5. Can't remember the other two.

Follow bean's instructions and you can't go far wrong. Personally I max it then twiddle them in turn to get rid of the squeal. Then if you find it gating/farting start tweaking them again until it rings out. Easier with two people and takes a while to get it just right.

juansolo

Oh and not all my wiring is that neat (see sig). Bean's boards make it easier to do them like that though.

rullywowr

Awesome looking build!  Great job!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Identical Jaymz's!!! Man that finish is killer...Is the application of Envirotex done with pouring??
You two make quite the team!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

juansolo

Looks like mix and pour (about 2x too much on that one), it's Cleggy's area so I'll let him go into details. But it's definitely looking like the future. Ultra durable finish vs really not when it comes to rattle can lacquer. A bit more practise and I suspect he'll have it nailed.