News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller, odd distortion?

Started by BraindeadAudio, May 02, 2012, 02:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraindeadAudio

Running it dry into my amp it delays, all controls work great etc but it gets almost a low fuzz sound to it? I used an electrolytic cap in C14 instead of a tantalum since I didnt have one handy, would that be the cause? Solder is flowed and clean...just wondering if anyone else is getting this effect?
Thanks. Joe

gtr2

Is it only the delay'd repeat(s) that has the low fuzz?  Or both the wet and dry signal.

pt2399's at longer delay settings are noisy, this circuit has less filtering than other pt2399's as well

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

BraindeadAudio

It gets fairly out of control, almost oscilation. It sounds like a constant feed back and keeps going and going until I turn it down to regain control then bring it up. Its an awsome noise rock delay and using a kickdisk type control I have it doing some awsome sped up/slowed down analog tape like stuff. Maybe its just the settings Im using? anything over 12 o clock it gets crazy.

madbean

As gtr2 mentioned, the longest delay times will have some artifacts/digital noise to it due to the minimal filtering. You should not hear this at medium delay settings, so if you are experiencing that I would double check those resistor values. The gains stages are balanced for very clean output (as much as possible with this design). Using an electrolytic for C14 instead of tantalum should not make a big difference. The tantalum is preferable for filtering the 2399 from everything I have read, but I have built many delays based on that chip using only an electrolytic there.

madbean

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on May 02, 2012, 02:45:18 PM
It gets fairly out of control, almost oscilation. It sounds like a constant feed back and keeps going and going until I turn it down to regain control then bring it up. Its an awsome noise rock delay and using a kickdisk type control I have it doing some awsome sped up/slowed down analog tape like stuff. Maybe its just the settings Im using? anything over 12 o clock it gets crazy.

The dwell control will oscillate somewhere around or after the midpoint. That is normal. The "secret" is to use the dwell and echo controls together to find the right balance. Setting the Echo around 25% and the Dwell just before the midpoint should give you almost infinite non-oscillating repeats that are somewhat dark sounding.

BraindeadAudio

Good call, It was the way I had it set up.