News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wee-wah

Started by bangerang101, March 19, 2012, 03:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bangerang101

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share this new project Ive been working and I finally completed building the prototype... The "Wee-Wah". I got inspired by Brian's baby board projects and started designing and building this thing! Turned out really good and works and sounds great for such a little pedal.

In "park'd" mode, the Wee Wah acts as a fixed wah, that you can set to your liking to boost certain frequencies for leads/solos, etc. What makes the Wee Wah really stand apart though, is the "sens" mode. In this mode, the Wee Wah uses an external LDR that, depending on how much light is hitting it, will control the wah sweep. In other words, you can use your foot just like a wah motion, or your hands to block/let through light; which makes for loads of experimental fun! It also has an output buffer built in, so it will work great w/ drive pedals following it, as well.

Let me know what you guys think.

Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

chromesphere

Orsum is what i think  :o  Love the finish / colors.  Respect for getting it all in there!

It's probably an easy mod, but i was thinking, a switch or something to change between wah mode and volume mode would be cool!!  So you could use it like a volume pedal!  Oh no...another build to the list :(
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog

Love the look of this pedal... very nice

DutchMF

I WANT ONE!!!!

No really, it's to cool!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

midwayfair

Hey, Luke, did you figure out what do do about using it on a dark stage?

reading light on the pedal board, maybe? :D

bangerang101

Hey Jon!

Yep, you got it! You just kinda have to deal w/ it... The sensitivity knob really helps in dialing it in, but you still need a reasonable amount of light. It's really fun to mess w/ though.

nzCdog

You could get a little gooseneck LED light or something and run it from your power supply... that'd make the LDR more useful on a dark stage maybe?

bangerang101

Yeah, exactly... something like that would definitely work. I'm really pleased w/ the values I chose for the filter's sweep. It can really sound like an actual wah pedals sweep, w/ the sensitivity all the way down, and just rocking your foot over the LDR (assuming you have good lighting of coarse).

Also, if you consider most people would have a pedal that is this small just for the fixed wah sound... the sensor mode is sort of like "icing on the cake", if you know what I mean.

Ettore_M

That's great, dude! Awesome build! I just love the finish. It's perfect!  ;D
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

jkokura

Think we could see a demo?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bangerang101

Thanks so much guys...

J, I do want to post a demo video so badly, but I need to acquire a simple camera that I can use to just film random stuff like this, to post (my brother has a super nice camera, but I have no idea how to use it... theres like a million buttons on it). I'm also terrible w/ any kind of editing software because of lack of experience w/ any of it. I might need to upgrade to one of those nifty smart phones that are so popular these days :)

Anyway, thanks for checking it out... glad this project wasn't a terrible mishap (like alot of my other ideas!), and it actually came out pretty cool.

bangerang101

Oh! Just remembered... I wanted to mention: if anyone is planning on building one of these 1590a projects, I found these jacks on mouser that are absolutely perfect for sitting the pcb on top of in these small enclosures: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-301116.pdf

and don't forget these mono snap in jacks: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300872.pdf

there actually quite nice and a good bit smaller than the standard round DC jacks normally used. Plus you only need + and gnd lugs for these 1590a projects, since your obviously not putting a battery in.

jkokura

Quote from: bangerang101 on March 20, 2012, 10:30:26 PM
Thanks so much guys...

J, I do want to post a demo video so badly, but I need to acquire a simple camera that I can use to just film random stuff like this, to post (my brother has a super nice camera, but I have no idea how to use it... theres like a million buttons on it). I'm also terrible w/ any kind of editing software because of lack of experience w/ any of it. I might need to upgrade to one of those nifty smart phones that are so popular these days :)

Anyway, thanks for checking it out... glad this project wasn't a terrible mishap (like alot of my other ideas!), and it actually came out pretty cool.

I have used my iPhone pretty successfully.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jtn191

could you post some more about the circuit (schem etc)?

+1 on a demo. I really like Chromosphere's idea about a volume pedal mode