News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

36. Pork Barrel chorus

Started by Liustucru, May 21, 2013, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

Hello Madbeaners,
I've finally managed to box my Pork Barrel.
I ended up with a 125B enclosure because I could fit in with a road rage in a 1590B without getting rid of an annoying clock noise.
It sounds so much greater when powered at 15V so I couldn't resign myself to use a standard 9V supply and remove the roadrage.

I did the depth/rate LED mod but I prefer lower settings with a slow subtle chorus. So as the depth and rate knobs are set very low, the LED almost doesn't blink.

By the way, I was not a chorus kind of guy but Madbean makes me change my mind AGAIN !!!
This is a great project that sounds very GOOD.

For the finish, I chose something sober. Because it has only 2 controls, I put 2 BIG knobs to fill the space and simple stamped labels as usual.

gingataff

nice and subdued ;)

I totally agree about the porkbarrel at 15v, sounds so much better.

I'm still struggling with mine though, time for major debugging.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

Liustucru

Quote from: gingataff on May 21, 2013, 12:06:30 PM
nice and subdued ;)

I totally agree about the porkbarrel at 15v, sounds so much better.

I'm still struggling with mine though, time for major debugging.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

Good luck on this one.
It is totally worth the effort !!!

jimilee

Quote from: Liustucru on May 21, 2013, 11:44:30 AM
Hello Madbeaners,
I've finally managed to box my Pork Barrel.
I ended up with a 125B enclosure because I could fit in with a road rage in a 1590B without getting rid of an annoying clock noise.
It sounds so much greater when powered at 15V so I could resign myself to remove the roadrage and use a standard 9V supply.

I did the depth/rate LED mod but I prefer lower settings with a slow subtle chorus. So as the depth and rate knobs are set very low, the LED almost doesn't blink.

By the way, I was not a chorus kind of guy but Madbean makes me change my mind AGAIN !!!
This is a great project that sounds very GOOD.

For the finish, I chose something sober. Because it has only 2 controls, I put 2 BIG knobs to fill the space and simple stamped labels as usual.

I'm a little confused, are you running it at 9 or 15v?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bret608

I love that used a color that is a bit non-standard for chorus! The production models out there tend to be pastels, blues, etc. so often.

I love mine even at 9v with a v3207, so I can imagine yours sounds great!

This style of stamped letters is starting to appeal to me more and more. I am sure you've described your technique in an earlier build report, so I will look through them again.

One tip I will offer--try this with your Pepper Spray; you can get some really dark, brooding early industrial type sounds! Think "Bad House" by Big Black, for example.

Liustucru

Quote from: jimilee on May 21, 2013, 12:43:39 PM
I'm a little confused, are you running it at 9 or 15v?

I use a standard 9V power supply to feed a road rage that feeds the Pork Barrel with 15V.
The road rage is located beneath the Pork Barrel board. That is why I needed a taller box than 1590B.

EDIT: I've just noticed why you are confused and I've corrected the sentence. Sorry  ;)

Liustucru

Quote from: Bret608 on May 21, 2013, 01:44:42 PM
I love that used a color that is a bit non-standard for chorus! The production models out there tend to be pastels, blues, etc. so often.

I love mine even at 9v with a v3207, so I can imagine yours sounds great!

This style of stamped letters is starting to appeal to me more and more. I am sure you've described your technique in an earlier build report, so I will look through them again.

One tip I will offer--try this with your Pepper Spray; you can get some really dark, brooding early industrial type sounds! Think "Bad House" by Big Black, for example.

I agree orange is not the conventional color for choruses but I was running out of choice. I use paint sprays and I do have to purchase some more. My Smoothie build is orange too (like any phase 45 has to be) so I decided to go orange again !!!

Concerning the stamped letters it is very simple. I use rubber stamps (scrapbooking kind of stuff). I have different fonts. And as per Brian suggestion, I use Stazon Ink which is just perfect because it stays in every type of surface and it doesn't need any clear coat on.
But beware of misprints because to remove the lettering you will probably remove the paint coat too !!!
With some training you'll start to make something cool easily.

nzCdog

As usual, great vibrant finishing!  I like your builds, keep posting 'em :)

Liustucru

Quote from: nzCdog on May 22, 2013, 02:32:30 AM
As usual, great vibrant finishing!  I like your builds, keep posting 'em :)

Thank you man.
This forum and all the active members are a great source of inspiration.