News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Taking apart a CryBaby Wah shell

Started by DutchMF, October 15, 2013, 05:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Any of you know a good/non-destructive/reversible way to separate the threadle from the main wah body? I've been looking at one a while now and can't seem to figure it out. I'd like to sand/paint the threadle and leave the main body the standard textured black, and I could do it with the both of them together, but I think separating them will result in a neater job..... Thanks in advance!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

dondougie

I used a worn out center punch and a hammer to remove the metal pin that holds both pieces together. But be careful, it only works on the plain side of the pin.

DutchMF

Quote from: DonDougie on October 15, 2013, 08:35:21 PM
I used a worn out center punch and a hammer to remove the metal pin that holds both pieces together. But be careful, it only works on the plain side of the pin.

So you mean I wack the flat side of the pin with a hammer and a punch? And can I put it back in afterwards? I have a pristine, new wah shell here, so I wouldn't want to ruin it...... (not even mentioning the investment, it just looks so good compared to my old battered CryBaby  :))

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

timbo_93631

If you look at the pin you'll notice there is a knurled end on one side and smooth end on the other side, some of the smooth sides are bullet shaped/rounded, and that is the side you want to whack.  You need to loosen the tension strap nuts that are on the screws that stick out by the PCB, and it helps to have some little blocks on either side of the pin against/alongside the rocker to help hold the wah upright on it's side.  If you use an old drill bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the pin (hitting the drill end with the hammer/flat end against the pin) it will be easier than using a nail set.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups