Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ham Glaze aka Pork Barrel / CE-2

Started by cooder, April 26, 2015, 09:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

I'm actually not a chorus guy.

Yeah right.

Still had to build recently first Stomptowns/Jon's super Pennyroyal Chorus (EHX Small Clone) and that's very nice.
And of course to satisfy the curious cat I had to go for the other classic, Madbean's excellent Pork Barrel (Boss CE-2).

Very very nice, I'm happy to conceed...

Built both mainly in the first place to have a nice chorus for acoustic guitar, even though the sound great on electric too.
So at present I'm comparing both those choruses for acoustic guitar into Fioshman Loudbox amp, and both sound great.
The Pork Barrel seems to have a slight edge for acoustic in my ears, so that's at the moment more on my acoustic board.
Both Pennyroyal and Pork Barrel beat the inbuilt chorus on Fishman amp by lightyears IMO.
Nice touch with the rate LED on Pork Barrel, like that! I did an orange 3mm for rate and red 5mm for bypass.

Thanks Brian for such a great project!

Switching is done again with 1776 effects 'finish line' relay board, sweet!

and guts:

BigNoise Amplification

GrindCustoms

Stephan, you're killing it!

Question about those knobs you use mostly, are they the splined shaft that can be bought from Ebay in quite large quantity and not that much? If yes, how's the quality of them?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lrgaraujo

Beautiful painting and clean wiring! As always

mattc

Those look great.  How do you do the painting?

pryde

Very nice indeed cooder!

Have you tried er at 15v? I thought my customer's PB sounded great with a little more juice so I put a 15v pump in the build.

studiodunn

So nice man. I really dig your finishing.

cooder

Thanks guys!
Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 26, 2015, 10:11:45 PM
Stephan, you're killing it!

Question about those knobs you use mostly, are they the splined shaft that can be bought from Ebay in quite large quantity and not that much? If yes, how's the quality of them?
I got a truckload of those knobbies directly from China, not sure if they are the same as you are talking about on ebay. Could quite well be.
They are for split shaft knurled pots, correct. They are a black anodized alu outer shell with a plastic insert.
Quality... hmmm.... what can I say?
I got as said a truckload (1000 pieces) for a laughable price and so I find it alright that there's a percentage that slipped passed a non-existent quality control... IOW I find that about 5 to 10 % are a bit off and I don't use them, means I'm left with 900 knobs. That's ok for me personally and the price is still acceptable low.
The inside plastic insert thingy isn't particularly well attached, so I prefer to take them out (which is easy enough) and re-set, re-centre and glue them with a good epoxy.
So to really become an acceptable knob they need work.
I do find them acceptable in my circumstances for the low price I scored them for and they work alright given mentioned caveats.
However, I don't find them easy to recommend and be aware that the QC department must consist out of the three monkeys or so. You might be disappointed.
Quote from: pryde on April 27, 2015, 07:49:33 PM
Very nice indeed cooder!

Have you tried er at 15v? I thought my customer's PB sounded great with a little more juice so I put a 15v pump in the build.
Haven't tried it on 15V yet mainly because Brian mentioned in build doc that the 15V option makes the LFO go funny and that he will update with a solution at some point.
At this stage I power it 9V and am impressed.
BigNoise Amplification

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

GrindCustoms

Thanks for the well detailed answer mate, that's pretty much what i thought it would be, bit of QC and fixes to do...

Most be well representative of all the other ones out there for sale and in various other styles.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

cooder

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 28, 2015, 03:39:46 AM
Thanks for the well detailed answer mate, that's pretty much what i thought it would be, bit of QC and fixes to do...

Most be well representative of all the other ones out there for sale and in various other styles.

If you're thinking about a large quantity for acommercial run or so I would definitly get some samples sent first before you commit.
I think I got these knobbies from Daier / China and it worked out only cheap because I ordered a boxlot of enclosures so the freight was not much extra at all. That made the knobbies cheeeeap in the context.
But, as most of the time, you get what you pay for.
BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

Glorious paintwork Stephan!  Now for demos!
We must hear the ultimate chorus showdown between CE2 and Small Clone... (I'm gonna build the winner, can't decide  ;D )

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: nzCdog on April 28, 2015, 07:21:25 AM
Glorious paintwork Stephan!  Now for demos!
We must hear the ultimate chorus showdown between CE2 and Small Clone... (I'm gonna build the winner, can't decide  ;D )

Absolutely stunning.  Your paint jobs are always awesome.  And +1 on the demo!
Jonathan

mattc