News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Are these fake BBD's? MN3007/3101

Started by Herostratus, February 17, 2014, 08:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herostratus

Hi all,

These just came in the mail today. On  first inspection they appear to have been black topped. I have never bought any before, so not sure what I should be looking for. They are for a pork barrel, still waiting for the PCB in the mail.

Scruffie

Don't look too obviously faked, but it's impossible to tell without testing.
Works at Lectric-FX

Thomas_H

Those are the ones offered as a set from ebay, right?
I have them as well but didnt have time to check them yet.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Herostratus

Herostratus

Scruffie

As I said they look okay, they're probably fine but you wont know for certain until they're tested.
Works at Lectric-FX

Thomas_H

I just had the nerve to test my latest MN3007 purchases from three different sources on ebay in a so far great working Porkbarrel.

The outcome is ZERO.

I bought a 3101/3007 combination where the 3101 shortened the whole circuit! and the 3007 has too much distortion and less effect. Please note that it is a different seller than in the above mentioned post!

The 5pce order of 3007 distort so much you think this is a dirt pedal, not a chorus.

The two pieces bought from the UK made the best optical impression but also have too much distortion and less effect. Not sure what they are in real.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Scruffie

You did remember to re-bias... right? And ESD handle them.
Works at Lectric-FX

WAXOU

I've bought mine at doctortweek.co.uk, they've got a pack with both chips.
I just finished the pork barrel yesterday, and it works pretty well, no distortion or less effects what so ever.

Here's a link http://doctortweek.co.uk/shop/article_286/MN3007-_-MN3101-Package.html?sessid=83k4QDhu0Hc56uMUEpYOdANyw9iWXnOmnCUwdyG2AiOLfhVgZOQqCTScOrKRJN8c&shop_param=cid%3D40%26aid%3D286%26
To do is to be -- Descartes / To be is to do -- Sartre / Doo, bee, doo, bee, doo -- Sinatra

slacker775

I snagged two sets of two MN3007's off an eBay seller and tested them in my GPCB chorus and they seemed to work fine.  I compared them with a MN3007 that I purchased from GPCB and I couldn't tell any obvious differences.   Their markings are the exact same but the surface of the eBay ones does seem a bit different and could be an indicator of a fake.  I'm far from experienced enough to know how obvious the differences might be.

Thomas_H

Quote from: Scruffie on February 17, 2014, 02:31:41 PM
You did remember to re-bias... right? And ESD handle them.

Yes, I did re-bias them. The ones from the UK can get almost clean but I am missing a little deepness in the sound.
The 5pce will not clean up at all.

I know that 32xx types will not work at all due to the different power pinout so I wonder if there are batches that have been out of spec?

ESD hande, yes. I did. They didnt.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Haberdasher

omg, they shipped them to you stuck in a chunk o' styrofoam?  *facepalm*
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Thomas_H

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 17, 2014, 06:30:14 PM

Yes, it even was sealed into plastic like real ESD material but as the right stuff piles up on my desk one can easilysee that even the plastic used for the ESD seal was obviously a fake.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

LaceSensor

Dr Tweek has legit BBDs
I have used them for multiple pedals. Trust them inherently
Run the pedals you build at 15v FTW, also.
Everything Ive made sounded much better with less distortion at 15v and was easier to bias

examples: current lover, pork barrel, ADA flanger etc

chromesphere

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 17, 2014, 06:30:14 PM

This is how I received my mn3005's recently...which surprise surprise, didn't work.

thought I would add to this thread,  just because a chip has a border as pictured doesn't mean they are fakes.  I recently opened up my dads Ibanez AD9 untouched from when he bought it back in the 80's, the BBD has the same border / matt top.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube