News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Signal diodes in a non-distortion context

Started by alanp, August 23, 2014, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

What differences are there in using different types of signal diode, when they are not being used as clippers? I'm specifically thinking 1n914 vs 1n4148.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

kothoma

Aren't those two idential (nowadays)?
I've heard/read the original 1n914 are out of production since ages.
All new ones are made like the 1n4148 and just marked 1n914.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1N4148 (2nd paragraph)

Edit2: A few decades ago it was somehow virtually impossible (at least for me, remember, that was long before the internet) to get 1n914's in my country. But I needed them so badly for my Rat clone! So I had to stick with 1n4148's. When I finally sourced 1n914's I was so excited! And what can I say? They sounded exactly the same...

Thomas_H

A general answer would be that different diodes are used if a different voltage offset is needed/wanted in a circuit. In front of a transistor, OpAmps and such.
When used for rectification or switching differnt diodes provide different power specs and switching speed.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

stecykmi

a lot of small signal diodes have very similar characteristics... you can use them almost interchangeably in most situations especially since you largely make the assumption that they are "ideal" devices. there is a lot more cork sniffing when in comes to using them as clippers.