Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

tube screamer...nothing!

Started by gtangas, March 06, 2013, 11:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtangas

Hi guys

Need some help

I finished the MB open source tube screamer but it don't work! No sound.. dead quiet.

Check for bridges, reflow some points, etc

these are the readings for the IC

1: 7.30
2: 7.30
3: 7.50
4: 7.50
5: 7.50
6: 5.92
7: 7.5
8: 7.66

on the transistors i have 7..... v on the three poles of each one

The battery its not new and is reading below the 8v (+/-7,5)

some pics

[img]http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy38/gtangas/20130306_223719_zps751b3980.jpg[/img

any tips?

jkokura

I'd bet you have a solder bridge somewhere.

You should be reading ~9V on pin 8, 0V on pin 4, and ~4.5V on pins 1-3/5-7. Because you have full voltage on your ground, I would start looking for a bridge on your ground plane. Also, your voltage divider isn't working, so possibly there are multiple errors.

Keep at er! This is solveable.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

hammerheadmusicman

I can't see a high res solder side pic, maybe it's not coming up, or i'm being an idiot, but if not that'd be helpful :)
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

gtangas

look again for some bridges and i cant find none. baaaaa!!!

here is a pic of the tracks side

where is the voltage divider?

gtangas

and another pic of the spdt wiring. for the comp switch i´m using a on/on ass well

jkokura

Take your voltages again. If you're still getting 7.3V on your ground plane, there is definately a broken part or a bridge.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

I guess we'd have to see the layout it came from to see what is ok to be bridged and what's not ok.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gtangas

Quote from: jkokura on March 07, 2013, 03:22:57 AM
Take your voltages again. If you're still getting 7.3V on your ground plane, there is definately a broken part or a bridge.

jacob

II think it's the trans.. I didn't find the 2n5088 that Brian tells on the boom and use the 2sc1815

I was checking the pins and the 2n5088 is cbe and the one I use is ecb... I think that explains why I have positive volt on the 4pin of the op amp

gtangas

solved and working!

Noob issue! The problem was the trans.

I followed the schematic from Brian and on the mods info he wrote that he change the sc1815 to the 2n5088. so wen i went "shopping" i didn't find the 2N so i bought the sc... I never assume that this one ad a complete different pinout! 

Today i bought a few bc238 that is an equivalent to the 2N...the pinout is the opposite (EBC vs CBE) but i reverse the position on the board and voila!!

I omit the bright switch.... to arsh for my ears!!

The comp switch is ok, but i cant see any light from the 3mm leds!