News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suppose I wanted to blend 2 pedals into one?

Started by Natman, June 25, 2014, 06:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natman

I know it's a simple concept, except that I'm near the limit of my technical abilities.

I built a Pepper Spray (Harmonic Percolator) and Love it. 

I built a Sunking (v3) and it's not working. I WAS going to wire these 2 pcb's into a 1590BB, but I have new and improved ideas.

I know the Klon is a dirt section with a clean blend. Has anybody tried to isolate just the clean blend and add their own unrelated dirt section?   

If it was possible, I would use my Pepper spray for the ratty breakup and the clean blend form the Sunking because that's what I loved most about my Klons. There is a beefy low mid oomph with sparkle that no other pedal seems to get.

Would this be as straightforward as leaving out part of the Sunking circuit and replacing it with Pepper Spray?

Thanks

midwayfair

Keep in mind that the dirt section on the klon isn't just another volume pot. It's variable gain and also part something else (like a variable state filter). Turning down the dirt side un-grounds the signal into the dirt and also increases the gain of the dirt path. The clean side is a volume control, though.

You could, of course, build it without the dirt section and do anything you like with the other half of the gain pot. You can take the buffered output from first op amp, insert any dirt pedal you like, and use the other half of the gain pot as an output volume control for that pedal. You will need to add an output buffer to whatever circuit you splice in to keep that pot from grounding out the clean side, but it'll work just fine.

Maxon has a tube screamer variant with a clean blend. It's sometimes touted as a klon killer; you could check that out as well.