Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar as a drum kit: Jon Gomm lesson

Started by culturejam, May 23, 2014, 05:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

This guy makes me mad.  ;D

And if you want to see him use all that technique (and then some) in a tune:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GermanCdn

Watching that makes me want to quit playing guitar, because no matter how much I practice or how good I get, that's still light years better.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

SmoothAction

I'm surprised I don't see him pop up more on forums. The dude is unreal, capable of being extremely technical and creating music that flows beautifully. He's a guitar player's player and an easy listen to those who don't play which is not common in the realm of tech acoustic players. I frickin' love the guy. His newest album is great. I love is transparency in what he does, as in he'll show and teach you "how" but knows you can't do it haha. I often feel inferior watching him, but his music is so beautiful it's hard to turn it off. It's torturous.

Plus his pedal board is huge. Long live JG!

alanp

Bob Brozman also hits the guitar body and stuff like that, on a tricone metal body :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mmlee

When I was at uni in Huddersfield, this guy used to turn up at the 'acoustic club' at a bar I visited. Great guitar player and a really nice guy. Good chats.
>Marcus

rullywowr

Reminds me of Andy McKee ..nice rhythm on the body

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

eldanko

Passionflower has been on my "to learn" list for a couple of years now. Every so often I choose a piece that I think is impossible and challenge myself to learn it (last one was "Locomotives" by Justin King). Not sure if I'll ever get this one quite right... he's flippin amazing.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

culturejam

Quote from: eldanko on May 24, 2014, 02:49:24 PM
Passionflower has been on my "to learn" list for a couple of years now. Every so often I choose a piece that I think is impossible and challenge myself to learn it (last one was "Locomotives" by Justin King). Not sure if I'll ever get this one quite right... he's flippin amazing.

Apparently the key to his manual detune technique is that he uses banjo tuners on the B and E strings. I have no experience with banjo tuners, so I assume they must have a favorable gear ratio for that sort of thing. Jon actually said on Facebook that Passionflower isn't really possible to play without those tuners.

lincolnic

Quote from: culturejam on May 25, 2014, 01:09:42 AM
Apparently the key to his manual detune technique is that he uses banjo tuners on the B and E strings. I have no experience with banjo tuners, so I assume they must have a favorable gear ratio for that sort of thing. Jon actually said on Facebook that Passionflower isn't really possible to play without those tuners.

Adrian Legg was the first guy I saw do this. Pretty rad.

Beedoola

I forgot who he was still I watched the second video: I've seen it before.

Those fucking pitch bends with the tuners are just unreal. Sounds so amazing - true pitch shifting, no processing. So organic - cause it is! Not to mention he is playing Rhythm while doing that.

culturejam

micromegas

Wow. Now I need an acoustic guitar...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jkokura

Quote from: culturejam on May 25, 2014, 03:58:39 PM
Quote from: Beedoola on May 25, 2014, 05:15:32 AM
Not to mention he is playing Rhythm while doing that.

And singing!  ;D

As a guy who often sings and plays guitar, I can't tell you how impressive this piece is. Gomm is pretty freaking amazing. Reminds me of Phil Keaggy, who also does a lot of looping/drumming/complex playing while singing, as does Bruce Cockburn.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals