News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lama Lovin

Started by angrykoko, May 14, 2012, 02:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

Just some sharing... avoiding real work today...

So I had some free time Sat and built a lama on a snarkdoole board (great boards madbean!).

Holy cow I love this build, it's a sound I've been searching for; dark .. moody and LOUD!  And it stacks well; I put an eternity in front of it and was blown away.
My only regret with the lama is that I have it housed in an ugly...ugly.. enclosure.

So what else is "like" a lama?  BigMuff? (never tried a BM, which version is on the darker side?)
Need to find some mods also for the lama..especially any that involve those micro toggle switches, can never get enough of them and I try to include one on everything I build :)

Anyway, guess I need to get to work now.

Cheers!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Glad to see you really like your build! I haven't built that circuit yet but I'm feeling like its something to revisit at some point. I don't think BM are really that close to the RL, this one uses a chip to get the fuzz while BM's are achieved with transistor gain stages. I've heard the RL is supposed to have a pretty accurate tube sounding fuzz which does sound nice!
IMO The darker version BM's are the Russian versions, civil war/black muff/red army. Those can all be easily built using MB Mudbuddy board. Another muff variant that is very dark is the pete cornish G2 version. Very, very dark but still has a huge sound! Experiment and keep it fun!

Not sure that missing work is a good thing to replace with building pedals  ;D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

angrykoko

Usually I'm very focused at work.. just a bad project soooo.... my mind drifts to my happy place (imagine  happy gilmore about now).  :P

So you've verified what I was thinking about BM versions (based on youtube vids I could find).  The Darkside though... now that looks very interesting and it's one that I've looked at a couple of times...  I need to see what demos I can find.

I would encourage you to build a RL, so far it's my favorite and one of the easiest to build.  This is the first one where I may try my hand at bread boarding so I can play around with it to see what else it might do (I'm not an engineer so it's random doing of stuff.. but could be fun, some sparks and smoke if I'm really lucky!).
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

midwayfair

Actually, the closest thing I can think of to the Red Llama is something like the Lavache with a germanium or two in one of the asymmetric positions and with the gain turned up. The Llama has lots of mids (Muffs are scooped like crazy).

I'm probably making a Llama for a 1590A on perfboard this week, basically to replace the horrible enclosure job I did on the last one I made. (Seriously, perfect storm on that .)

angrykoko

ha,  yeah my RL is housed in a scratch and dent sale enclosure, the bottom plate color is white.. the enclosure is a scratched up blue... grey knobs... hideous looking beast. Maybe with enough water slides and clear coating it'll be better, maybe even an opportunity to try my wife's silhouette machine for some paint masks.

What went wrong with your enclosure?

Lavache... I sort of remember Pro Guitar Shop did a demo of a les linus, I'll have to look that up again.  the problem with Andy and PGS is that he/they can make a fart machine sound like klon.  Seriously, I"ve never been so influenced to by so much stuff as with those PGS demos.

midwayfair

Quote from: angrykoko on May 15, 2012, 02:41:00 AMha,  yeah my RL is housed in a scratch and dent sale enclosure, the bottom plate color is white.. the enclosure is a scratched up blue... grey knobs... hideous looking beast.

Actually, that color scheme doesn't sound so bad .... Soond vary Scottish.

My enclosure. So embarrasing. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=4327.msg38227#msg38227

angrykoko

That's funny I read that post a couple days ago because I bought that same damn dc jack for a zombii build and was looking for a clever way to resolve it.

Your pedal isn't bad, I mean it looks like you at least made an effort.. until you got to the sides...  Sharpie?  :D

I'll grab some pics of my stuff later tonight.

Cheers!