News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grrr. Ruined a new soldering iron in 10 minutes. How?

Started by Guybrush, May 13, 2012, 07:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey there.

I decided to do some soldering today with my new gas powered soldering iron.  It's this one http://amzn.to/ISudWB.

All was well for the first few minutes but after a short while I noticed the solder wasn't taking too well.  I cleaned the tip and tinned it again but no improvement.  I looked closer and noticed that the tip had dramatically corroded away and was completely ruined.

I use a lead-free solder and was wondering if this might be the cause?  I checked the packaging of the iron and no where does it mention what kind of solder is or isn't suitable.  I've used this type of lead-free solder on other irons without issue so I'm a little puzzled.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

jkokura

I hate to say it, but I'd guess you bought something that was a piece of junk to start with. I don't know the brand, or even if it's a good idea to use a butane iron, but that doesn't look like something I'd want to mess with.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jubal81

Some tips have a plating that gets eaten by lead-free solder.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Guybrush

Cheers guys.

Draper is a (semi) decent brand in the UK and I've got several other tools by them which are fine.  The reviews on Amazon are all positive too.  I've used other butane irons before too and had good results from them so I'm at a bit of a loss.

The plating being eaten by the solder sounds like a possibility.  That's definitely what it looks like anyway. 

I'm going to send it back for a refund.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks guys.

jtn191

yeah man, my cheapie 25W Weller "project iron" goes through tips pretty fast. But I've used a nicer radio shack solder station and they last quite a while

jubal81

My 3rd Radio Shack Suck butane crapped out this week. Instead of throwing more money away I just bit the bullet and ordered a Hakko 888. Should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to finally having a proper station. - I think I'll easily get over having a cord ;)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

gtr2

I coughed up for a hakko 936 about a year and a half ago.  Best money I spent!  The cord is a non issue for me, its really flexible and non intrusive.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

I also have a Hakko 936. Well worth the money, has lasted now 2 1/2 years with the same tip and it looks pretty new. Whenever I get to much oxidation a little filling and its good as new! It so much cheaper than anything else on the market for what it is.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Indybeez

I was burning through the tips on my craftsman iron.  I ended up buying the Weller WLC100 soldering station, and turned the heat down to half.  It works fine, and no burned tips.

Guybrush

Thanks for the info everyone.  I've been looking for a Hakko fx888 here in the uk.  The only place I can find them on sale over here is at this place http://www.dancap.co.uk/soldering/fx888pricelist.htm  They're selling for £88 ($137).  Is that a reasonable price?

GermanCdn

Not to hijack the thread away from Hakko irons, but I picked up a cheap variable temp iron from Banzai, and I get about 60 pedals between tips, and the tips are only $1.50 each.  I liked it so much I brought it back to Canada with me and bought a 220V transformer solely to run it.  Link to the iron is below

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Soldering-Iron-LKR-50.html

Since you're in the UK, you'd need an adapter plug, but it's a beauty of an iron, and a ridiculously good value.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Guybrush

Amazing.  Thank you very much it's just what I've been looking for.  Can't really afford the Hakko one just yet so this will hopefully do for a while!  Do you know if it can take lead free solder?  I've worryingly been getting a tight chest whilst soldering with leaded solder recently.

GermanCdn

I've used lead free and 60/40 with it, I've had better results with 60/40, but both work.  It's a killer iron for the price.  I came back to Canada and fired up my old Weller for a couple of boards, then threw it in the garbage, the LKR is worlds better.

Order a couple of extra tips just in case, they're cheaper than any other tips.

Have fun.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Beedoola

Quote from: Guybrush on June 25, 2012, 12:19:35 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.  I've been looking for a Hakko fx888 here in the uk.  The only place I can find them on sale over here is at this place http://www.dancap.co.uk/soldering/fx888pricelist.htm  They're selling for £88 ($137).  Is that a reasonable price?

I got a Hakko FX-888 off craigslist near me for $70, was only used a few times. Works really well, heats up quick, precise tips. Better than the Weller station I had.