News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

*Solved* Cap polarity placement.

Started by Clayford, September 17, 2013, 08:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

I have found some .22uf (220n) Kemet Tantalum Caps. Long lead and 2 Red Dots indicate the positive lead on them(in my experience) - So I need to check the orientation for placement the Weener Wah II. They are C3, C4, and C9. In looking over the layout and the schematic - I think the right side is the positive trace of those caps. Can anyone confirm this for me?I have 5 and need three so I can't afford them to blow. I know regular box caps would not matter - but on Tantalums it does. I'm told they stink to high heaven when you blow them and I'd rather not test placement that way.

Mojo-jo-jo. And yes that is a .0015 in C10. I know you load r's first - this is just a test fit to make sure there's room for everything.

Clay
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

kothoma

Quote from: Clayford on September 17, 2013, 08:07:29 PM
... C3, C4, and C9. In looking over the layout and the schematic - I think the right side is the positive trace of those caps.

Looking at the schematic, I'd say  C3 is +||- , C4 is -||+ , and C9 is +||- . So in the layout the LEFT sides would be the positive ones?

Clayford

I think you're right - after looking at this. Can anyone else confirm our suspicions?

joegagan

c3 and c4 are not polarized on the weener schematic. in other wahs that use polarized caps in this location the + would be toward the trans, not the pot.

so, kothoma is correct on c3 and c4, not sure about the buffer.

joegagan

or boost, i guess q3 is a boost?

Clayford

Q3 is part of the boost circuit. At the advise of Joe - I'm not going to use those polarized caps. They could induce noise. Got some PIO's on the way instead.