News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rotten Komp.........

Started by GrindCustoms, November 01, 2012, 07:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

A simple and efficient Rothwell Love Squeeze compressor, works great on guitar and also really good on bass with «stock» specs.

I've built this for a MetalHead friend here who plays in couple bands, 7string guitars in TeraMobil and 7 string bass in UnHuman.

Really pleased by the flat response of this comp, with my 7string guitar, no low frequencie lost and either on my LowB tuned bass......a nice go to comp that does'nt asks for any fancy component  8)

Thanks to Jon (Midwayfair) who helped me narrow down the options for the purpose of this comp.  ;)

Also....this white and black paint pattern and is my «official» compressor paint job..........it just get along the effect imo...... ::)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

Nice build, there, Rej. Amazing that stock it doesn't cut any frequencies even on a seven string!

GrindCustoms

Quote from: midwayfair on November 01, 2012, 01:42:41 PM
Nice build, there, Rej. Amazing that stock it doesn't cut any frequencies even on a seven string!

Yeah i was quite impressed in all truth........., this one is already gone via FedEx......, but i'll build another one and put it through my frequency analyser in Cubase.........to dig out the truth.

But by ear, nothing seemed to alter the low end. wich is really nice.

This comp does'nt boost that much, just keep thing above unity gain, i think that may helps it to not color the sound aswell........just thougths over my head.

Anyway, thanks again mate ;)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pickdropper

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 01, 2012, 05:34:21 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on November 01, 2012, 01:42:41 PM

Yeah i was quite impressed in all truth........., this one is already gone via FedEx......, but i'll build another one and put it through my frequency analyser in Cubase.........to dig out the truth.

But by ear, nothing seemed to alter the low end. wich is really nice.

This comp does'nt boost that much, just keep thing above unity gain, i think that may helps it to not color the sound aswell........just thougths over my head.

Anyway, thanks again mate ;)

Rej, try Spectra Plus for real-time spectral analysis.  You probably won't want to buy it, but you can do a 30 day demo for free.  Just a pointed, that you will need to check the calibration on your sound card if you want to be sure that it is the absolute truth, although it is most likely to be off in the frequency extremes, outside of where the guitar frequencies reside.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Thanks Dave! I will check that, as long that it accuratly «scans» everything between 45hz and 15khz it should be fine.........over that and lower than that........it's quite useless...in guitar or even bass application......

Even if a E1 is close to 33hz...hehe

pickdropper

It really depends on how you are measuring it.  If it is line level in and out, you might be OK, but it is possible it may not be completely flat down to 33 Hz.  I would hope that the input impedance of the circuit under test would probably be high enough that it wouldn't load down the output if the sound card.  You could always buffer the signal.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Quote from: pickdropper on November 01, 2012, 10:09:57 PM
It really depends on how you are measuring it.  If it is line level in and out, you might be OK, but it is possible it may not be completely flat down to 33 Hz.  I would hope that the input impedance of the circuit under test would probably be high enough that it wouldn't load down the output if the sound card.  You could always buffer the signal.

I'll go through my Radial J48 passive DI and enter at line level, should be good.........