News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Archibald Build - the Rocket House

Started by leftwing73, July 26, 2022, 04:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leftwing73

Hey gang, I just finished an Archibald build - the Rocket House. Running 12v, no buffer. I was getting some gating/compression with it on, but its got a much tighter, crisp attack without it. I've got it going into my Marshall TSL122 on the crunch channel and it its so good it just kicked my Guv'nor off the pedalboard. Wiring isn't super clean but it works. I also rigged up a power switch. Anyway thought you'd enjoy the ridiculous/obscure Simpsons reference.

gordo

I got the same thing on mine with the buffer and the voltages were way off on the trans.  I'd used a smd J201 and must have fried it installing it.  I replaced it and it solved the problem.  TBH I usually use this one in unbuffered mode anyway.  Great build!  I like the wrap around graphics, is it a vinyl decal or is that a waterslide?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Fantastic! What adapter are you using, mine wasn't powerful enough to run it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Looks super cool, any and all Simpsons artwork for the win

leftwing73

Quote from: gordo on July 26, 2022, 12:01:44 PM
I got the same thing on mine with the buffer and the voltages were way off on the trans.  I'd used a smd J201 and must have fried it installing it.  I replaced it and it solved the problem.  TBH I usually use this one in unbuffered mode anyway.  Great build!  I like the wrap around graphics, is it a vinyl decal or is that a waterslide?

Thanks! It's a clear laser waterslide decal with Minwax satin Polycrylic. I'm using a thru-hole J201 - I'll check the voltages but its probably not worth troubleshooting. It sounds killer just the way it is.

leftwing73

Quote from: jimilee on July 26, 2022, 02:06:47 PM

Thanks! I'm using this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PowerPlug12--tc-helicon-12v-power-supply

12v, 1000ma. Works great.

Aleph Null

Love the wrap-around graphics! Is that a sticker or a decal, or something else?

jimilee

Quote from: leftwing73 on July 26, 2022, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: jimilee on July 26, 2022, 02:06:47 PM

Thanks! I'm using this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PowerPlug12--tc-helicon-12v-power-supply

12v, 1000ma. Works great.
Thank you sir!

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Minwax, that's a cool idea.  And yeah, if it ain't busted...

I had it all boxed up and for some reason it drove me nuts having something not working.  Getting bad readings pushed it over the edge.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

leftwing73

Quote from: Aleph Null on July 26, 2022, 05:39:25 PM
Love the wrap-around graphics! Is that a sticker or a decal, or something else?

Thanks! Its one big waterslide decal.

Bio77

MAO

Hey leftwing73, very nice.

How does it sound? I built my own DIY version, with the single tone control and an opamp buffer rather than the jfet.

I'm also running the tube at 40V rather than the +/- 12v.

Mike sounds a bit thin. The bias cotrol darkens things up but at the same time makes it sound a bit woofy. I prefer the bias turned down.

Thinking of trying the other tone control and maybe bypassing the buffer.

Curious how yours sounds

leftwing73

Quote from: MAO on July 28, 2022, 06:41:56 AM
Hey leftwing73, very nice.

How does it sound? I built my own DIY version, with the single tone control and an opamp buffer rather than the jfet.

I'm also running the tube at 40V rather than the +/- 12v.

Mike sounds a bit thin. The bias cotrol darkens things up but at the same time makes it sound a bit woofy. I prefer the bias turned down.

Thinking of trying the other tone control and maybe bypassing the buffer.

Curious how yours sounds

Mine sounds anything but thin. I can thin it out with the hi/lo eq controls at their extreme settings but in general this is a thick, rich , very 80's cranked-Marshall-sounding pedal.

MAO

Yeah, maybe "thin" wasn't the best choice of words, but I ended bypassing the buffer and bumping up C5 to 20nf (2x10nf) and it "thickened" up just enough. C5 is probably a good place for a fat switch mod.

Sounds really good with single coils, however with the Drive cranked I need to roll back the guitar volume a tad with humbuckers. Maybe the bias pot will help here, have to check that out again tonight. 

I may also try increasing R2 and/or R6. Hopefully I can get a good compromise for singles and humbuckers.

leftwing73

Quote from: MAO on July 28, 2022, 06:07:40 PM
Yeah, maybe "thin" wasn't the best choice of words, but I ended bypassing the buffer and bumping up C4 to 20nf (2x10nf) and it "thickened" up just enough. C4 is probably a good place for a fat switch mod.

Sounds really good with single coils, however with the Drive cranked I need to roll back the guitar volume a tad with humbuckers. Maybe the bias pot will help here, have to check that out again tonight. 

I may also try increasing R2 and/or R6. Hopefully I can get a good compromise for singles and humbuckers.

I agree - it works better with some lower-output pickups. I was considering adding a pre-gain control to just lower the input signal but then I remembered I have that on my guitar. :)  The bias pot, for me, just squishes out the attack. This pedal is definitely better for leads than intricate riffs.