News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Archibald SIAB

Started by MAO, July 26, 2022, 07:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAO

So while reading through the build doc for the Archibald, I remembered I had a Craig Anderton Stack in a Box PCB from way back in the day, which for whatever reason ended up in the "some day I'll have to modify this" box.

Thanks to madbean, 25 years later and that day has finally arrived  ;D

I successfully stripped down and repurposed the circa '93 pcb.  Luckily, only damaged/repaired a couple solder pads and was able to juggle things around to keep all but 1 component onboard.

The original SIAB 42v tube plate voltage supply was accomplished with a 12v AC supply and a CD4049 used as a tripling "charge pump". Using the same 25 year old Radio Shack 6-0-6 450ma transformer and increasing the filtering, I was able to get +48v out of the 4049.

Built the Archibald with the EQ, Bias, and Output buffer only I used the available opamp as the buffer rather than adding the jfet.
I also converted the tube portion of the circuit for use with the +48v DC supply, rather than the Archibald's dual +/- supply. I do have the +/- 15v supply for the opamps though.

Didn't get play it very long, but sounded promising. 

I'm restoring an old Webcor power amp for a guy who wants to use it as a guitar amp. Hoping this will pair up nicely as a preamp for it.

gordo

DIY at it's best.  I'd always wanted to build the SIAB and the Quadrafuzz from PAIA.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

This is way too cool, like gorfo said diy at its finedt

MAO

Thanks guys.

I've built and posted a pedal version layout for the Quadrafuzz which includes some Mark Hammer suggestions from way back.

Original 4136 op amps
http://guitar-fx-layouts.238.s1.nabble.com/Quadrafuzz-Craig-Anderton-RC4136-version-td16032.html

TL074 version
http://guitar-fx-layouts.238.s1.nabble.com/Craig-Anderton-Quadrafuzz-TL074-version-with-mods-td24730.html

I still have a completed 4136 version if interested.

gordo

That's awesome.  I'd consider myself too dumb to make strip-board layouts but this might push me in the right direction.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

zombie_rock123

I've completely missed most of CAs circuits aside from the Tube sound but this looks immense!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

MAO

Hey Gordo, let me know if you'd like to borrow the Quadrafuzz.
Just cover the shipping and I'll send it to you to check out.   

MAO

Hey Zombie,
The Quadrafuzz was like nothing else at the time. I don't know how to best describe it, but it's like having full on saturation and sustain with single notes, and more of a cleaner crunch-like distortion with chords. And the tone shaping capabilities are insane.

I think VFE has something similar. Everything Peter has put out has been awesome, so I'm guessing his version of the multiband distortion is a more modern approach and probably sounds great.

I thought of building one a while back, maybe I will when I get some down time.   

MAO

Comment deleted