News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Some competitions are just awesome!

Started by micromegas, March 23, 2015, 11:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Forgot to say I have a beer tasting this Friday. It was a gift, but for 20 euros is cheaper than going to the pub and you get some food too.

(I know this sound hyper-hypster, but meh, I don't care. It is beer. And I'm gonna leave my rimmed glasses and moustache at home anyway)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

juansolo

Shame I don't drink beer any more other than holidays... Saying that, makes me a really cheap date on the holidays ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

I usually leave beer for fridays. Saying that, the good thing about Spain and our catholic heritage is that I'm sure every friday you have some festivity to celebrate according to the liturgical calendar.   ;)

peAk

I recently had to quit drinking due to my liver enzymes being through the roof after getting some blood work done.

I never really thought I had an issue (famous words of a drunk) because I didn't drink a ton, I just drank often. I usually enjoyed wine at the end of the evening. One glass or two glasses maybe three....whatever...

I guess after 14 years of doing that, it finally added up.

After a month and a half of not drinking, I am going in today to pick up my results from blood work done last Friday . Hopefully everything will be back to normal.

micromegas

Quote from: peAk on March 25, 2015, 06:39:32 PM
I recently had to quit drinking due to my liver enzymes being through the roof after getting some blood work done.

I never really thought I had an issue (famous words of a drunk) because I didn't drink a ton, I just drank often. I usually enjoyed wine at the end of the evening. One glass or two glasses maybe three....whatever...

After a month and a half of not drinking, I am going in today to pick up my results from blood work done last Friday . Hopefully everything will be back to normal.
Good luck with your results. And sorry for the continuous beer talk  :-[

peAk

Quote from: micromegas on March 25, 2015, 06:48:12 PM

Good luck with your results. And sorry for the continuous beer talk  :-[

nah, no worries. I think I will still be able to drink again just not as frequent as before. I just wanted to get away from it for a while to make sure things go back to normal. From what I know now is....the liver needs a break and even though I wasn't a binge drinker, getting wasted, etc., just the frequent drinking never gave my liver the break that it needed. It was just so nice to have those drinks to wind down in the evening. It felt more like a ritual for me than a habit/addiction. As soon as I got my blood work scare, I quit that day and it's been six weeks since.

I hope to still enjoy wine and beer on occasion but I won't do it if it's going to impact my health.

juansolo

Yep, same for me (and dairy) too. Been off it for over 12 months now. Not a big deal to be honest (I have an anti-addictive personality if there is such a thing).

Though I occasionally miss it and will get a six pack in. But I can make that last weeks now.

Muadzin

Epic thread got epically derailed. By beer of all things. :D

lincolnic

I came here to talk about a guy chopping a car in half with an axe and you guys are talking about beer again?

alanp

Well, we did briefly mention ferret legging.

Strategy, how many minutes do you go with that? ;) ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

Do they still have warm beer over there? That always made me go WTF!?

Just to stay derailed, I found that all the "refrigerated" drinks in the UK were fairly lukewarm.  What's with this warm coke thing?

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on March 26, 2015, 04:39:03 AM
Well, we did briefly mention ferret legging.

Strategy, how many minutes do you go with that? ;) ;)

I can happily say that I have never, nor have I ever seen, someone with a ferret down their trousers.

lincolnic

Quote from: juansolo on March 26, 2015, 05:42:46 PM
I can happily say that I have never, nor have I ever seen, someone with a ferret down their trousers.

...that you know of.

add4

Quote from: juansolo on March 24, 2015, 04:52:01 PM
Quote from: micromegas on March 24, 2015, 12:16:55 PM
Quote from: juansolo on March 24, 2015, 12:02:02 PM
Hmmm, we don't do anything weird in Yorkshire. It's all fields and prettiness. We're good at beer and pie though. There's the ferret thing, but we don't talk about that.
I can imagine why you don't talk about it :)
I love the quote on wikipedia where they show you a ferret's teeth and say: "Despite their sharp teeth, ferrets have been called "generally ... harmless, fun-loving creatures" by people associated with the sport" English humour at its finest

I've never been to England but my girlfriend has told me to beware of english pies. She says: "you can call it whatever you want, but hot rhubarb with cream and cold ice cream isn't a pie".

That's Rhubarb Crumble, that's not a pie. Steak and Ale Pie, that's a pie, and yes it has warm beer in it, hence the ale ;)

Quote from: micromegas on March 24, 2015, 12:16:55 PMShe didn't said anything about beer though. And my experience with Kentish and Oxonian beer has been great so far

TBH I find the warm beer (when not in pies) to be bloody awful. My personal favourites are usually Belgian beers.

I got plenty of those since I'm in Belgium.
I'll trade Belgian beers against pedal building stuff. whos in :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk