News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

An overdrive trio: La Vache, Supreaux Deux and Shortstack.

Started by stevewire, October 25, 2013, 06:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewire

Here are a few of my recent builds and maybe a couple personal impressions.  In my usual fashion I continue on with non-labeled builds.  The end results were all cool to me; although I don't forsee any of these three retaining a spot on my pedal board.  Definitely some cool character tones that I'd like to have around for recording. 

The Supreaux Deux.  I understand it's connection with the Honey Bee overdrive in that both are supposed to replicate Supro amp tones.  I would describe the two pedals being quite different from one another; although both produce some vintage type tones.  My build seems to do well in the lower gain register where I feel the HB loses alot of volume turning the gain down.  The Supreaux has more over all volume and treble.  I used a 10n cap for the bass/subs switch.  This seems to work real well with my Telecaster.  Like the La Vache and the Shortstack, the Supreaux gets very thick and fuzzy in it's upper gain range.

Temporarily I have a tropical fish socketed for the bass/subs.

The La Vache.  I used some vintage Silvertone cupcake knobs and fullsize CTS pots.  I had wanted to use fullsize pots on a few different builds in the past and here I finally got around to it.  The tone of this circuit has been described so many times that there isn't much I could add to that discussion.  I like this pedal with my Gretscsh Pro Jet with TV Jones T-Armond pickups.  I prefer the middle cleaner sounding "Twin" mode, boosted switch engaged with the gain knob pulled back from max.  That setting wouldn't be possible with the stock Les Lius circuit.  The Madbean board has the gain pot modded to work with both options of the "boost"  switch.

The Shortstack.  My go-to amp is a Vox AC30.  So there are some specific pedals that come to mind to compliment the amp: Hot Cake, the Rat, a Range Master and Tone Benders.  There are others of course that I have found work well for me, but I think it's a good idea to check these historical combinations.  I think I do understand why some people like the voicing of a Hot Cake with an AC30.  It's pretty full sounding.  I prefer the gain a good bit before 12 o'clock.  After that, like the other two pedals, it gets pretty wooly.  Once again I'd more often pair this with a single coil pickup; although not so much with a P90.  Some people might like all three of these with a humbucker or P90, but to me I feel they all start to lose detail in the treble.

lincolnic

The knobs on that LaVache are so awesome! These builds are all quality, but the knobs totally make it for me.

selfdestroyer

I love these pedals and I too am a "non-labeler" on most of my builds. My fav above is The La Vache. It looks awesome.

jtn191

all awesome builds! The Lavache is my favorite, those knobs/color scheme

stevewire

Thanks guys.  It seems that most like the knobs on the La Vache.  They came off of a 1950's Silvertone S1352 that I inherited from my step father.  Believe it or not, I had some even nicer Gibson ES-250 knobs sitting around and so I put them on the Silvertone.  I had actually ordered some cream vintage radio knobs for that build, but they didn't look quite right.  My original idea was a tan enclosure with brown knobs, but I couldn't find a source for the tan powder coat.  I have yet to paint my own enclosures.  I mostly source them from Pedal Parts Plus.

evildead222

These are beautiful! I love the switches on the La vache. Everything is very clean. I am also a non labeler.

Jonnypothead

Nice builds! Especially the SUPRO.
I have a question regarding the toggle switch. There are 2 wires going from the pcb to the switch. Does it matter what lugs they solder to? Im thinking it doesn't matter since its not mentioned in the build doc. I know one wire should go to the center lug on the switch, and the other to one of the other lugs to the side of it, is this right?
Any help would be great!

Is there a real noticeable effect when switching the caps?

stevewire

Hey Johnny,
Thanks man.  Just like in the photo.  Center lug and one of the other two.  The third lug is unused.  Yes, it can make a difference.  The larger the cap value the more difference.  I used a 10n cap and I felt that was just right for me.  I like the switch on with thinner sounding Tele pickups.