News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New guy....

Started by MrSimple, October 10, 2013, 02:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSimple

Greetings!

I'm new to this board/forum. Not only am I new tothis forum, I am REALLY new to DIY pedals.

If you could recommend some great URL links, threads, posts, etc etc etc that would help get me started and using this board to my advantage I would be eternally grateful!!

Thanks for having me and glad to be here.

"If everything is possible, why do anything?" - J

das234

Go here and download the crash course on pedal building.  It will answer a lot of questions to get you started.

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7156859-crash-course-in-pedal-building-

And the Madbean forum people are amazing.  They seem to take a personal interest in getting each others' projects working.  It's very cool.

selfdestroyer

MrSimple, Welcome to the addiction. I am looking forward to see you grow with the rest of us in this awesome hobby. Welcome to the board.

playpunk

Just Do It.

You will screw up, but fix it & learn.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

MrSimple

Thanks, folks!

My head is already swimming. So much info. I'm excited to get started. It seems I have stumbled across a few threads that focus on the ethics of the DIY community when it comes to profit and commercializing. I guess that was a pretty good place to start as well! I promise I won't violate that. I'm just a guitarist in search of tone and a need to know more about how things work and whether or not I can do it myself.

Thanks for the welcome. I have much reading to do!

jimilee

Before I soldered my first, I read tons of tech support threads and found the common solution, reflow the solder, there are great soldering videos on YouTube if you're new to soldering also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

icecycle66

das234

Quote from: icecycle66 on October 10, 2013, 04:42:56 PM
Spend and afternoon watching Paul's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chromespherecom?feature=g-subs-u

+1.  I think Paul's videos are the main reason I ever got the notion to attempt this diabolically addictive sport.

jkokura

Welcome MrSimple! Do your research, but in the end, you gotta build to learn! Highly recommended you find a good mentor or someone to bounce ideas off of, and rely on the community. You can search for answers here, but sometimes asking questions get you fresh responses and experiences.

Biggest recommendation - ask or search first, then do.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

MrSimple

WOW!

This is awesome. Thanks so much. I am a novice at best. Never built a pedal but I have done repairs to both my amps and pedals. Minor... but still repairs. I have built and wired/rewired several guitars. But still... I don't know shit, really.

I'll try not to wear out my welcome with TOO many questions, but I make no promises.

Hopefully I can create a pedal worth sharing like the many I have seen here that a friggin' AH-MAZ-ZING! You guys know your stuff. A little intimidating.

Thanks again!

jkokura

Quote from: MrSimple on October 10, 2013, 05:52:15 PM
I'll try not to wear out my welcome with TOO many questions, but I make no promises.

Impossible. Ask away.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jean-Rock

Hello !

I find this is a very nice website for tips and tricks about what's going on !

http://www.beavisaudio.com/

welcome and enjoye !
Jonny Rock the "French Canadian"

Affiliation : Jonny Rock Gear

http://www.jonnyrockgear.com

Haberdasher

Hey it sounds like you already know how to solder, so I think you'll do fine.  Read up & enjoy.
Welcome to the addiction!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Bret608

Welcome!

The J Mascis quote you have in your signature line was his stance on alternate tunings, if I remember correctly. I always thought that was funny considering his deep friendships with Sonic Youth and Kevin Shields!

MrSimple

Bret... indeed it IS a J Mascis quote! He was probably just grumpy at the time as he just got out of a rather trying recordnig session for the BBC. The interview was also with Kevin sitting next to him!! I've always liked the quote though.

Haha...

Anyway, he's a hero of mine. Certainly from a guitar standpoint.