News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What a difference a quality tool makes! (NGD)

Started by AntKnee, December 06, 2014, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

Since I started building, and for nearly a year, I've been using the super cheap solder iron that came with my BYOC starter kit. I'm pretty sure their kit is all tools from Harbor Freight. I am surprised it lasted this long.

I just got a new solder iron. Its the Hakko FX-888D. I can't believe I didn't upgrade sooner. I am even more in love with building now. I'm glad I had to master that piece of junk, because it makes the new one very easy to use.

Now, if I could just get better at troubleshooting!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jubal81

I got the 888 with the dial a couple years ago and it changed my life. Great score!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

I'm still using my 40W pencil iron, and it hasn't missed a beat. Replacing it with one of those fancy-pants ones isn't really an option until certain financial situations are sorted (which won't be till after january.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on December 06, 2014, 06:12:23 PM
I got the 888 with the dial a couple years ago and it changed my life. Great score!

Same here. I had Xytronic before that, and it was also excellent.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

dont-tase-me-bro

I have the FX888D-23BY - I like it.  The one thing I've noticed (and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong) is the tips eventually get permanently stuck in the sheath.  I always use the T18-B conical one, so I just keep a couple of them, and a few sheaths on hand.  I got the little Hakko smoke absorber too, which is nice - it is not too loud.  It's amazing how caked the filters get after awhile
I thought this would save me money.