News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Catch 22

Started by dannoceti, November 09, 2014, 03:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannoceti

Just finished the Grind Custom Catch 22. I really like it, to me it's way smoother of an overdrive then the blues breaker type OD's I current have on my board, which is what I was looking for.

For some reason my treble cut on the top left cuts backwards, so all the way to the right is no cutting and all the way to the left is fully cut?

I tried to use the a25k audio pot with a 18k resistor like how I guess the Timmy's are made today, but not sure I got it right. I ended up attaching it from lug 2 to lug 3 on the pot?

This pedal is incredibly loud, but that might be because of the charge pump. Unity for me is between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock.

Even though the controls seem to be working funny, it sounds awesome and is just what I was looking for on my board.

Currently this is my pedal chain: Klon Centaur (clone)-> king of tone (clone) -> Timmy (clone) -> zendrive (clone) -> carbon copy -> timeline -> bigsky

Basically I like overdrives, delay and reverb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selfdestroyer

Very clean looking build. Enjoy that circuit, I sure do.

Cody

m-Kresol

Nicely done, I love the colour
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

luks999

looks fantastic. this even wants me even more want building a timmy
where did u get the enclosure? or did u do the paint job?

dannoceti

Quote from: luks999 on November 09, 2014, 04:26:39 PM
looks fantastic. this even wants me even more want building a timmy
where did u get the enclosure? or did u do the paint job?
I bought the enclosure already painted from  mammoth electronics, the color is called translucent blue

dannoceti

Figured out why treble is cutting backwards, because Rej designed it not to be a cut, haha woops should have payed attention better to the original description :)

cooder

Great work, looking super! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

luks999

Thanks man! already ordered my pcb and the enclosure looks too good :)
i think i will try it with a 25k pot too ;)
(very confusing is that you find a 100k one in the web on several layouts)

did you use the 4559 chip?

luks999

ha ;) couldnt help to order this enclosure too ;)
ordered the pcb and all the parts :)

dannoceti

Quote from: luks999 on November 10, 2014, 09:18:50 AM
Thanks man! already ordered my pcb and the enclosure looks too good :)
i think i will try it with a 25k pot too ;)
(very confusing is that you find a 100k one in the web on several layouts)

did you use the 4559 chip?
ya I love the enclosure color, looks really cool in person. What knobs did you go with? I actually used a jrc4558, but ordered a bunch of other ones in case I wanted to try different ones, they are all pretty cheap.

dannoceti

Oops just checked and you're right most layouts list the 4559. I wonder if sonically there is a difference between the 4558 and 4559?

luks999

Quote from: dannoceti on November 10, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
Oops just checked and you're right most layouts list the 4559. I wonder if sonically there is a difference between the 4558 and 4559?

i ordered both black and tranparent knobs (the davies https://www.mammothelectronics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=700-1211)
thought maybe the transparent one will look cool. if not im using the black ;)

yes the 4559 is little bit rarer, found it on ebay but not on mammoth. i ordered a TL072. ive read that 4559 sound darker, and therefore some use a TL072 or TLC2272 (thats what its in the grindcustoms bom)
here you can read some interesting things about the chip
http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.at/2008/05/wanna-build-timmy-overdrive.html

i dont know how good the 4558 sounds in the timmy, but it should work because its has the same pinout ;)
maybe i give it a try too (ive bunch of 4558 lying round here)

luks999

4559 seems to have more gain than the 4558, but everything else is the same
as i said, the TL072 is highly recommended because of the LOW noise and the clearity :)
i guess i will give the TL072 a try and post my results :)

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=46548.0;prev_next=next