News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road Rage application question...

Started by pauloman80, September 03, 2013, 07:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauloman80

Hey gang, been a while since I've been here. Haven't built any pedals lately, was busy building a Tele Thinline. Pic attached below.

Anyhoo, I've got a couple pedals that require using the wall-wart due to voltage requirements, so I'm wondering if adding the Road Rage would allow me to ditch the wall-warts vs. buying a Voodoo Lab Digital to work alongside my Voodoo Lab PP2+. The PP2+ powers most of my pedals, but also feeds a power strip which is feeing my OneSpot. I have an Eventide and a tube-based overdrive that requires 12VAC, both receiving their power from the power strip. I rarely use my 18v MXR Stereo Chorus, but it'd be nice to be able to put it into the chain.

Thoughts? If I *was* able to use a Road Rage or two, how exactly would I implement them? I'm a bit out of the loop on this stuff since my building hiatus.

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

RobA

The RoadRage and anything else charge pump based only puts out DC. So, the 12VAC pedal won't get anything from it. You'd need to check the current draw on the Eventide (assuming it's DC). The charge pumps can only put out a max of about 100mA and only the LT1054 can do that. The rest are more like 20mA. You should be able to get the charge pump to work with the MXR Stereo Chorus. But, that's got a clock in it if it's BBD based and sometimes there are issues with the clocks in the charge pumps and the clocks in the BBD drivers pulling each other (and possibly other fun stuff).
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

pauloman80

Quote from: RobA on September 03, 2013, 08:33:00 PM
The RoadRage and anything else charge pump based only puts out DC. So, the 12VAC pedal won't get anything from it. You'd need to check the current draw on the Eventide (assuming it's DC). The charge pumps can only put out a max of about 100mA and only the LT1054 can do that. The rest are more like 20mA. You should be able to get the charge pump to work with the MXR Stereo Chorus. But, that's got a clock in it if it's BBD based and sometimes there are issues with the clocks in the charge pumps and the clocks in the BBD drivers pulling each other (and possibly other fun stuff).

Sounds like I'd be better off just picking up a Pedal Power Digital. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80