News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rehousing a mini q-tron and using the old enclosure

Started by B_of_H, March 13, 2011, 04:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_of_H

I searched around for a DIY envelope filter for a while and tried a few, didn't like them.  So I decided to just buy a micro q-tron and rehouse it but after looking up some gut shots I realized it would be a lot easier to do the mini-q-tron.  The micro had pcb mounted pots etc...but I searched for a month or so on ebay/gbase/clist and finally found one.  well, apparently they weren't all that popular and it's easy to see why.  WHAT A WASTE OF SPACE!  on top of that the one I found wasn't true bypass (assuming that the dpdt switch coming off what is labeled 'b' on the pcb means 'buffer').  In addition they are using a positive tip 1/8" plug as an adapter jack.   ::)  Heck, It's really not even all that 'mini' compared to the fulll size version even.  

So, I haven't decided what to put the q-tron pcb in yet but I might put it and a dig dug or a clean octave down circuit in a 1790.  I could even put both in this enclosure if I wanted but I also think I could put 3 switches and 9 or 10 knobs in this thing with minimal modifications as well.  So it could also possibly become at dirt/boost pedal for my small pedalboard.  

First question: is there any relatively easy way to fill in these holes without it looking completely haggard?  I was thinking about sanding the metal down and spray painting the top for instance.  Really I probably only need to fill in the footswitch hole most likely 

bigmufffuzzwizz

You always got some good projects ideas! I gotta get drilling for enclosure versatility. Can't wait to see what you put together.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

B_of_H

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 13, 2011, 05:18:33 PM
You always got some good projects ideas! I gotta get drilling for enclosure versatility. Can't wait to see what you put together.

thanks, I was just looking at the enclosure thinking "can I make something outta this?"  If I can find a reasonable way to plug that one large hole in the top I think I can make it work.  It's a pretty sweet box actually, just horribly wasteful to put this small little circuit by itself in there IMO.  :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

It true they are wasting a lot of space with those enclosures. EH must have had a deal with the manufacturer of them, cheapest method for them. I'm sure you'll make it work. The layout you designed looks good, and shouldn't be too hard if your box is big enough!!
I'm looking at the circuit board thinking how awesome it is MadBean sells PCB's that look just as professional.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals