News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dr Gonzo LM386 Distortion (+Demo Clip!)

Started by raulduke, May 03, 2013, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Here be Dr Gonzo.

LM386-Amp Chip Overdrive/Distortion (based on the D*A*M Sonic Titan).

The toggle switch is an input cap selector switch. With a higher input coupling cap, this thing is great for stoner rock riffing. Also great for crunchy rhythm tones etc.

EDIT: Here is a clip of it in action:
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/sj-audio-effects/dr-gonzo[/soundcloud]

Also, this little f***ker is LOUD (makes sense with the amp chip n'all) ;D

The enclosure is one of ColesBD's that he has for sale (antique copper finish). Really impressed by his enclosures so far. Gives us UK guys a bit of that powder coated enclosure love!

Because of the powdercoating, I also added a ground tab to the enclosure (you can see the mounting screw below the output jack on the first photo).

spaceboss

That thing looks like it sounds wicked.  :o

lincolnic

Where'd those knobs come from? They're awesome! (As is the rest of this build!)

the3secondrule

Ooooh! Got a spare board for this one?
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jimilee

Awesome overdrive...stoner rock riffing? WTF does that even mean? Can a brother just get some good classic rock? Sabbath,Zeppelin AC/DC???
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

Nice looking build man... those enclosures you guys have been using are awesome

ch1naski

Quote from: jimilee on May 04, 2013, 04:10:28 AM
Awesome overdrive...stoner rock riffing? WTF does that even mean? Can a brother just get some good classic rock? Sabbath,Zeppelin AC/DC???
every time I hear that term, I think "master of reality"
Or even queens of the stone age.....
one louder.

raulduke

Here you go:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_rock

Kyuss, fu Manchu etc i would class as stoner rock.

You can get a very good crunch tone out of this (ie. acdc) but I think it sounds best for low tuned riffage ;)

the3secondrule

Quote from: the3secondrule on May 04, 2013, 04:03:41 AM

Nevermind - Just finished one up on vero. It's late, and the toddler is sleeping, so I haven't had a chance to crank it loud yet, but I think I'm gonna like it. Sludgetastic!

any suggestions for input cap values for the switch?

at the moment is going in an enclosure that is already drilled for a switch, so i might as well use it!

raulduke

Quote from: the3secondrule on May 04, 2013, 12:03:30 PM
Quote from: the3secondrule on May 04, 2013, 04:03:41 AM

Nevermind - Just finished one up on vero. It's late, and the toddler is sleeping, so I haven't had a chance to crank it loud yet, but I think I'm gonna like it. Sludgetastic!

any suggestions for input cap values for the switch?

at the moment is going in an enclosure that is already drilled for a switch, so i might as well use it!

Well buggar; missed your post on that and I do have a few spare pcb's.

Can't remember what cap values I used (away from home right now) But i would recommend socketing the extra cap and see what you like best.

the3secondrule

well, probably wouldn't hurt me to build another  ;)

i'd probably still grab a board ...

J

DutchMF

I hear ya bro, but I can get that just from my amp and a good OD pedal (IE MB GreenBean, Egodriver) or a nice booster. For a good Stoner Rock sound, you do need some sort of Fuzz or stack a whole bunch of OD's, boosts etc, in combination with a cookin' amp... All the bands mentioned above will give you an idea of what it will sound like.... IT ROCKS!!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Stomptown

Quote from: raulduke on May 04, 2013, 11:55:40 AM

Here you go:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_rock

Kyuss, fu Manchu etc i would class as stoner rock.

You can get a very good crunch tone out of this (ie. acdc) but I think it sounds best for low tuned riffage ;)

Stoner rock is awesome! I listened to a lot of Queens of the Stone age back in the day and subsequently got into Kyuss. All really good stuff!

Parra

awesome build, inside and outside.

jalmonsalmon

Nice build dude!  I love those knobs too...
Does that pedal more or less sound about the same as the sonic titan? Get some clips going on your blog!

Cheers!
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .