News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Man O’ War

Started by blackhatboojum, April 08, 2022, 06:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhatboojum

I have been hiding in the shadows, admiring the Madbean pcbs that have been available.  It was about a year ago, when I first starting building my own pedals that I thought, "Some day... I'll have enough skills to actually build some Madbean stuff."  That day has finally come. 

This... is my holy grail delay pedal. Everything about it... is what I've been looking for... for years. I wanted a delay that sounded good in front of a distorted amp, without adding noise and hiss, and had natural, degrading, and organic sounding repeats. I finally found it with this beast. It was expensive to build. It was a challenge to build, and it was a challenge to set up. I used an audio probe, 2 multimeters, a signal generator, and an oscilloscope to dial her in just right. I really tried to bring my "A" game with this build and push my skills to the limit. There are a few things I could have done better aesthetically but, overall... I think it's probably my best work to date.

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

zombie_rock123

Daaamn you did bring your A game and then some! Super clean build, fantastic job.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Thewintersoldier

This is outstanding! Seeing where you came from to where you're at now is a huge leap forward. Everything about this is great and your wiring is 💅💅💅 don't worry about the outside as much, what really matters Us the inside and you slayed it. It is a great sounding delay, next your gonna wanna build the upcoming 125b deluxe memory man lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

matmosphere

That's awesome man! It looks great, and it's always nice to finish something and then find out it's gonna be the thing that says on the board and see a lot of use. I can't tell you how many things I have laying around that I like but will don't see much action.

EBK

My favorite thing about this build is the way the blue wires flow like a man o' war's stinging tentacles.  Nice work, inside and out!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Man, that looks fantastic. Blue inside and out, nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blackhatboojum

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on April 08, 2022, 06:40:53 AM
Daaamn you did bring your A game and then some! Super clean build, fantastic job.

Thank you so much!

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 08, 2022, 09:32:57 AM
This is outstanding! Seeing where you came from to where you're at now is a huge leap forward. Everything about this is great and your wiring is 💅💅💅 don't worry about the outside as much, what really matters Us the inside and you slayed it. It is a great sounding delay, next your gonna wanna build the upcoming 125b deluxe memory man lol

Thanks Chris!  I've been a big fan of your builds since I joined the other forum so, to hear this from you is a huge compliment.  I have two 3005s left in my inventory so, I can totally see me hopping onto the Tour Bus with them.

Quote from: harryklippton on April 08, 2022, 11:25:13 AM
Nice work Clinton

Big fan of your builds as well so, yes... huge compliment!  Thank you

Quote from: matmosphere on April 08, 2022, 11:37:32 AM
That's awesome man! It looks great, and it's always nice to finish something and then find out it's gonna be the thing that says on the board and see a lot of use. I can't tell you how many things I have laying around that I like but will don't see much action.

Thank you so much and I can't agree more.  I have 3 pt2399 delays that I built, along with a DM-2 clone, and they just sit on my display shelf collecting dust.  This one just kicked my deep blue delay clone to the shelf of shame.

Quote from: EBK on April 08, 2022, 11:44:34 AM
My favorite thing about this build is the way the blue wires flow like a man o' war's stinging tentacles.  Nice work, inside and out!

Holy crap!  You're absolutely right!  I didn't even notice that lol.  Well, there's a happy coincidence.  Thanks for the kind words!

Quote from: jimilee on April 08, 2022, 02:20:20 PM
Man, that looks fantastic. Blue inside and out, nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I tried to keep the same colors aesthetically throughout the whole build but, I didn't have all the right value box caps in grey.  Hence, the random yellows.  For the 1uf box caps that were needed, I only had 2 greys and 1 white, and one of the greys tested bad so, there's a random white in the mix.  Cap color doesn't affect the sound but it does affect my OCD lol.
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.