News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Distortion +

Started by lincolnic, February 10, 2014, 05:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

It's been a while since I posted a build report, and this is overdue on top of that - I finished this build right around Christmas. Anyway, this is a stock Distortion +, made on CJ's Plus Dist PCB. The enclosure is Anodized Yellow from PPP. I like the matte finish, it's a nice change from the usual glossy stuff.

I built this guy because the guitarist in a band I was recording had one, and I thought it sounded great. Unfortunately, once I actually had my own, I didn't love the sound as much and I'll likely end up selling it. Fun build, though. There's a metal can 741 for maximum mojo.

This is what passes for neat wiring, for me. After almost 4 years of the hobby, I'm slowly starting to improve.

(I noticed the extra wire sticking out of the input sleeve after I took the photo and clipped it. That's what I get for fixing a cold solder joint before taking a picture.)

gjcamann

Where did you git this PCB from?

jkokura

That looks like CJ's PCB to me. I doubt you can find one in any online storefront. Culture Jam is a member here, so you may be able to get in touch with him through the forum.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pryde

Look up member rullywow. He has (or had) some nice fabbed dist+ pcbs as well

Chi_Boy

I might have a couple of CJ's boards that I won't build if you want them.

gjcamann

Man, You guys are all so nice here. Thanks for the offer.

I'm not so much interested in this PCB, as learning about who is making PCB's and what else is available. The DOD250 is on my short list to make on a vero.

gordo

I used to love Kim Mitchell's Dist+ sound in Max Webster and when I finally got one I thought "meh..."  I cloned one a while back and same thing.  Another youthful memory dashed.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lincolnic

Quote from: gordo on February 11, 2014, 02:56:53 AM
I used to love Kim Mitchell's Dist+ sound in Max Webster and when I finally got one I thought "meh..."  I cloned one a while back and same thing.  Another youthful memory dashed.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Although I have to say, I like this circuit a lot more when I dial my tone knob all the way down. Helps with the fizziness.

Quote from: gjcamann on February 10, 2014, 10:25:48 PM
Man, You guys are all so nice here. Thanks for the offer.

I'm not so much interested in this PCB, as learning about who is making PCB's and what else is available. The DOD250 is on my short list to make on a vero.

As I said above, this is CJ's PCB, though I actually got it from Rej. You could build a 250 on it as well, if you don't want to go the vero route.

Bret608

I built this about a year ago, same PCB. Just did it for fun due to obsession with Bob Mould's guitar sound. I tried to sell it a couple of times because I wasn't totally in love with it. It's grown on me a lot though; there's certain situations where it's the right sound. Turning down the tone knob does help. Also, I've found dialing the gain back to about 90% keeps it rocking but tames the treble. It doesn't make me sound like Bob, but I can easily get the sound of late '70s New York underground rock.

culturejam

I'm not so much interested in this PCB, as learning about who is making PCB's and what else is available.

At this point, who isn't making PCBs?  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

Quote from: culturejam on February 11, 2014, 03:38:18 PM
I'm not so much interested in this PCB, as learning about who is making PCB's and what else is available.

At this point, who isn't making PCBs?  ;D

Yeah, Stupid Jacob with his Eagle Tutorials...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

lincolnic

Quote from: Bret608 on February 11, 2014, 02:57:13 PM
I built this about a year ago, same PCB. Just did it for fun due to obsession with Bob Mould's guitar sound. I tried to sell it a couple of times because I wasn't totally in love with it. It's grown on me a lot though; there's certain situations where it's the right sound. Turning down the tone knob does help. Also, I've found dialing the gain back to about 90% keeps it rocking but tames the treble. It doesn't make me sound like Bob, but I can easily get the sound of late '70s New York underground rock.

Late 70s England, too. I was surprised to get some decent Buzzcocks tones out of it.

Bret608

Yeah, I agree! Makes me want to play Buzzcocks covers.  :)

lincolnic

Yeah, I spent a fair amount of time playing "Ever Fallen in Love?" after boxing this pedal up.