News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sardine Tin Plus

Started by jessenator, April 11, 2023, 02:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Finally got the enclosure to pop the test unit's guts into!

This is an evolution of my Sardine Tin (Super-Fuzz) project, incorporating a number of mods, including a dual calibration setup to allow one to have both the gnarly, octave* tones and a more traditional fuzz sound** depending on how you like to play. The mods required an upsize in enclosure to a 1590N1/125B from my originally intended 1590B build. I do have some boards which will do all but the fuzz toggle for that size, but I'll keep my self-shilling to a minimum  : P

Reading through a number of docs out there, it seems that some prefer the "factory" setting of having an "octave" like effect when adjusting the 10k trimpot in the circuit. *To me, it sounds and behaves a bit closer to a ring modulator in that anything beyond a perfect fifth power chord starts to sound like something's broken. Other guides say you should tune it to **be as "noisy" as you can, indicating that it's a more useful fuzz tone. I said, "por que a no los dos"  —or at least I would have if the taco meme girl hadn't said it first in a commercial hocking Americanized Mexicana to people who think maize is something you get lost in during autumn fun times.

I'm not pretending it's anything groundbreaking, but I like having the option.

The guts are a bit of a dip in form from the Fraudhacker I recently did, but they were parts I needed to use. The wonky rotation of the input jack was intentional since there was a large "IN" etched into it with a soldering iron  -___-

Also, someone needs to make a Fuzzrong now.

Thanks for looking.

WonkoTheSane

Looks great!

Also looking forward to building it. One of my favorite fuzz circuits.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

harryklippton

Ooooh that's looking good

Thewintersoldier

looks really great, I really like the super fuzz circuit.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aleph Null

That's a great looking build. More options is almost always better. I think the toggle is  a smart idea.

jessenator

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on April 11, 2023, 10:48:33 AM
Looks great!
Also looking forward to building it. One of my favorite fuzz circuits.

Thanks, man! Yeah this is one of those I just can't leave alone.

Quote from: harryklippton on April 11, 2023, 12:55:35 PM
Ooooh that's looking good
Thanks, Will!

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 11, 2023, 02:09:40 PM
looks really great, I really like the super fuzz circuit.
Thanks, Chris! Totally agree. I dig this one.

Quote from: Aleph Null on April 11, 2023, 04:09:34 PM
That's a great looking build. More options is almost always better. I think the toggle is  a smart idea.
Thanks, man. I think I was really hard nose about it being vanilla at first, but that's what variations are for! The fuzz type change is subtle until it isn't.

My most favorite mod though has to be the trimmer on the clipping diodes  finally this thing has some output!

Generally, most fuzz circuits I've played haven't really impressed me. I'm sure from a vintage tone perspective they're THE sounds, but I'm super picky.