News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Catalinbread: Echorec and Belle Epoch

Started by pryde, May 29, 2014, 08:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Been looking at some "unique" ambient delay options and am a fan of a lot of Catalinbread stuff which brings me to these 2 beauties: the Echorec (Binson-like) and the Belle Epoch (EP-3 like)

I am digging the Echorec as I already built and play my Multiplex Jr which I believe is fairly similar to the Belle Epoch. Has anyone demoed or own one of these? Thoughts welcome.

pickdropper

I borrowed CJ's Belle Epoch before he sold it.  I thought it was a nice sounding delay, but it didn't wow me. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

I had a Belle Epoch for a hot minute. Pickdropper borrowed it, so he can chime in as well with his thoughts. edit: Dave beat me to it.

It's definitely a cool pedal. For me, the headroom is too low in the preamp (although this is somewhat adjustable via trimmer). But that's exactly the kind of sound it's trying to achieve, so it's spot on. And the preamp has carbon comps!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pryde

Quote from: culturejam on May 29, 2014, 08:48:38 PM
I had a Belle Epoch for a hot minute. Pickdropper borrowed it, so he can chime in as well with his thoughts. edit: Dave beat me to it.

It's definitely a cool pedal. For me, the headroom is too low in the preamp (although this is somewhat adjustable via trimmer). But that's exactly the kind of sound it's trying to achieve, so it's spot on. And the preamp has carbon comps!  ;D

Cool mang. Would you say the Josh's multiplex is close to the belle. From the demos it seems I can get some pretty similar stuff with my MPJ.

Anyone fiddle with the Echorec?

pickdropper

The Belle Epoch is cool, but I think I prefer the MultiPlex.  To be fair, I probably should've played it longer.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: pryde on May 29, 2014, 11:50:36 PM
Cool mang. Would you say the Josh's multiplex is close to the belle.

No idea. I never built a Multiplex.

angrykoko

I own a BelleEpoch... and a MultiPlex... and a Malekko LoFi... and a EchoBase.

I love my BelleEpoh but yea it's not a clean and pretty machine.  When I was looking I was trying out an Empress Tape Delay along side the Belle, The Empress was beautiful sounding.. if I was trying to make really pretty noise, i'd have bought the Empress (and really almost did) but the Belle, it just sounded rock and roll to me, it had noise in all the right places that just made me smile so I bought it.
You can also run the Belle at 18v for more headroom and fiddle with the rec level etc to dial it in, it really has a lot to tweak around with.

If your trying to sound more Pink Floyd like, then the Echorec might be a better choice.  Actually, I can do a really decent "Run Like Hell" with the Multiplex, I would imagine the CB Echorec just adds more authenticity to that :)

Buy them both, you can never have too many pedals is my thinking.

Koko

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jtn191

I really like my multiplex but am curious how it stacks up to the Belle Epoch. I like the way the B.E. oscillates but it might be redundant to have two tape delays. The Catalinbreads seem like they're the closest emulations out there, but there seems to be still some little thing missing...maybe the modulation is too even and regular--it's like the "uncanny valley". I would go for the Epoch if you're into Zepplin, Echorec if you're into Pink Floyd or rhythmic patterns

raulduke

I own a Belle Epoch and I also agree with the other comments about it not being a 'clean' effect.

However, it sounds fantastic to my ears. The preamp imparts a noticeable effect on the tone (the gain can be trimmed mind).

Its worth noting that they were emulating the whole signal chain from the Echoplex, including the famous preamp (renowned for its character), so in a sense they succeeded big time.

I loved my multiplex though. I should build another. I think I would combine it with a fat pants and a reverb (+ delay modulation). That would be an AWESOME delay pedal  ;)!

culturejam

Quote from: raulduke on May 30, 2014, 10:18:33 AM
Its worth noting that they were emulating the whole signal chain from the Echoplex, including the famous preamp (renowned for its character), so in a sense they succeeded big time.

Yes, I think it was a stunning success on their part. I didn't mean to sound negative in my impression of the pedal. I just don't prefer that a delay contributes a fair bit of grit to the clean signal. Sometimes it is nice, but mostly I'm after a delay that leaves my dry signal relatively unmolested. :)

raulduke

Quote from: culturejam on May 30, 2014, 01:40:11 PM
Quote from: raulduke on May 30, 2014, 10:18:33 AM

Yes, I think it was a stunning success on their part. I didn't mean to sound negative in my impression of the pedal. I just don't prefer that a delay contributes a fair bit of grit to the clean signal. Sometimes it is nice, but mostly I'm after a delay that leaves my dry signal relatively unmolested. :)

Agree 100%

The character is nice, but I also have another delay on my board (varies what I use) for the clean delay duties.

I guess it would have been nice to be able to switch between the preamp or a buffer of some sort on the Belle.

culturejam

Quote from: raulduke on May 30, 2014, 04:21:59 PM
I guess it would have been nice to be able to switch between the preamp or a buffer of some sort on the Belle.

But then they couldn't sell you their new clean delay.  ;D ;)

jtn191

If anyone could do a comparison between Multiplex and other top tape delays--please do! I could contribute a comparison with Line6 Echo Park...maybe someday a Belle epoch