Looking for a builder in the US to build one Lovetone Doppelganger clone for me.

Started by DjamBands, January 22, 2019, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjamBands

One of the last few LaceSensor PCBs for a Lovetone Doppelganger is coming my way from from across the pond (big thanks to Ian for digging one up).  He has exactly three more Doppelganger PCBs, btw, as of today, if anyone else is interested.  He's also not doing the building of them any longer,  which is why I'm here looking for a builder who has the necessary skills, interest, availability, etc., a suggestion he made to me earlier today.

I will handle all graphics/labels on the enclosure (I'll be acid etching something of my own design), and I'd like to choose the basic layout and spacing of the controls and whatnot, and while I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter, this one is a bit outside of my current DIY skills and I'd rather just pay someone else to build it for me. 

A 1:1 clone in sound is my primary objective, though I would like to discuss and explore any possible and useful mods that only add functionality without taking away from the original sound (for instance  - I've read there is a mod that let's one or both LFOs go even slower than the original, and I'd like to explore the addition of some CV patch points and the necessary vactrols to make it more compatible with synths and other CV gear, such as being able to feed it an external LFO in lieu of either of the built in ones).

I'll want the best mix of (a) crucial components necessary to make it sound the same as an original,  even if they're NOS or weird or pricey, and (b) the highest quality components for everything else (switchcraft jacks, carling stomp switches, etc).  I'm willing to source and provide  them, though I suspect whomever builds it for me will be even more equipped to do so.  I mean, I can make a Mouser/etc order like anyone, but I have no parts in inventory nor do I make a habit of placing orders of any meaningful size.

Anyway, it will be for personal use, to replace an original Lovetone version that I no longer have, and I'll be buried with this thing before I'd ever sell it, fwiw.  And as most of you probably know, Lovetone has been out of business for a while now, and the beat up originals you often see online command huge prices ($600+) on the secondary market - which is the part I'm looking to avoid.

I would prefer someone who has a real Doppelganger of their own, or a clone of one, such that they can test the build alongside a real one, but given that that might not even be possible it's not an absolute requirement.   

I've never done this before (sought out a builder for a project like this).

Please respond via PM, I guess, or here.  However it normally works.

Thanks for your time. 

PMowdes

Quote from: DjamBands on January 22, 2019, 03:42:46 PM
One of the last few LaceSensor PCBs for a Lovetone Doppelganger is coming my way from from across the pond (big thanks to Ian for digging one up).  He has exactly three more Doppelganger PCBs, btw, as of today, if anyone else is interested.  He's also not doing the building of them any longer,  which is why I'm here looking for a builder who has the necessary skills, interest, availability, etc., a suggestion he made to me earlier today.

I will handle all graphics/labels on the enclosure (I'll be acid etching something of my own design), and I'd like to choose the basic layout and spacing of the controls and whatnot, and while I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter, this one is a bit outside of my current DIY skills and I'd rather just pay someone else to build it for me. 

A 1:1 clone in sound is my primary objective, though I would like to discuss and explore any possible and useful mods that only add functionality without taking away from the original sound (for instance  - I've read there is a mod that let's one or both LFOs go even slower than the original, and I'd like to explore the addition of some CV patch points and the necessary vactrols to make it more compatible with synths and other CV gear, such as being able to feed it an external LFO in lieu of either of the built in ones).

I'll want the best mix of (a) crucial components necessary to make it sound the same as an original,  even if they're NOS or weird or pricey, and (b) the highest quality components for everything else (switchcraft jacks, carling stomp switches, etc).  I'm willing to source and provide  them, though I suspect whomever builds it for me will be even more equipped to do so.  I mean, I can make a Mouser/etc order like anyone, but I have no parts in inventory nor do I make a habit of placing orders of any meaningful size.

Anyway, it will be for personal use, to replace an original Lovetone version that I no longer have, and I'll be buried with this thing before I'd ever sell it, fwiw.  And as most of you probably know, Lovetone has been out of business for a while now, and the beat up originals you often see online command huge prices ($600+) on the secondary market - which is the part I'm looking to avoid.

I would prefer someone who has a real Doppelganger of their own, or a clone of one, such that they can test the build alongside a real one, but given that that might not even be possible it's not an absolute requirement.   

I've never done this before (sought out a builder for a project like this).

Please respond via PM, I guess, or here.  However it normally works.

Thanks for your time.

We have PCBs for all of the lovetone pedals if you are interested (except the cheese source cos Dino hated it).

I think the doppleganger is the closest to the originals out of the lot so you should be dead happy with Ian's PCB.

DjamBands

It appears as though I have this sorted out with Dan. ^

If for some reason that doesn't pan out I'll come back and update the thread to reflect it.

Thanks to everyone for looking, and for reaching out.

fair.child

Dan is legit. You'll satisfy with his build. He got OCD so yeah it'll pan out.