News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So I post a couple Mutron clones on CL....

Started by Betty Wont, June 07, 2017, 03:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I would suggest simply replying with "I'm not cloning any Z.Vex products, but thanks for your concern." 

I mean, unless Old Mr. Vex has indeed bought the Mutron assets.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lars

Do not reply to that message! Craigslist has become an absolute garbage dump for every computer scam artist out there. This is yet another way that individuals try to dupe people, by making seemingly legit claims in which they threaten legal action. Really, all they want is to get your legit email address, that way they can sell it over and over to every peddler of cheap junk, identity thieves, etc, etc.
It's unfortunate that Craigslist has zero security features, it's just not worth it to list there anymore. Go with OfferUp, Reverb, the "buy and sell" section here, Ebay, or just your local paper classifieds instead.

raulduke

The guy legit works for Z Vex (look him up).

Not a scammer. He is just... how do you say it... a wanker.

Betty Wont

So I wrote back. "Thank you for your interest in my work. I am not aware that your company owns or maintains the intellectual rights for Mutron/Musitronics. I would like to discuss your concerns in detail. Can you please provide me with further evidence that I have violated your brand?"
We'll see if they respond.

peAk

Quote from: Torgoslayer on June 08, 2017, 02:31:33 PM
So I wrote back. "Thank you for your interest in my work. I am not aware that your company owns or maintains the intellectual rights for Mutron/Musitronics. I would like to discuss your concerns in detail. Can you please provide me with further evidence that I have violated your brand?"

"I will be happy to remove my Mu-tron pedal clones off of Craigslist once they sell"

HamSandwich

Quote from: peAk on June 08, 2017, 02:47:25 PM
Quote from: Torgoslayer on June 08, 2017, 02:31:33 PM

"I will be happy to remove my Mu-tron pedal clones off of Craigslist once they sell"

LOL YES

lars

Quote from: raulduke on June 08, 2017, 02:09:33 PM
The guy legit works for Z Vex (look him up).

Not a scammer. He is just... how do you say it... a wanker.
Yes, that guy's name is associated with Z Vex, but anybody can look that up, copy the info, and pretend to be him. A little more research into the matter shows that the Mu-Tron brand name and rights belong to a company called HAZ Labs (they even use the original Musitronics tuning fork logo). The other company, Beigel Technology Corporation, makes clones under the MU-FX name, but neither have anything to do with Z Vex. Big red flag.

As I said, this is clearly a scammer trying to get some kind of information they can use for personal gain. Scammers have become extremely adept at forging legit-looking documents, claiming to be legit people, and even using AI-controlled robo-calls that sound like you are actually talking to a person. Now is not the time to be lax about these kinds of things. We need to be extremely skeptical of anything that "seems odd". And by all means, do not click on random links or ever reply to these guys. The number one means of identity theft, hacking, and virus infection is through email. It is the weakest link on any computer system. Unfortunately, since a reply was made, I'm sure there will be some new junk emails about "hot babes in your area" and that you can "re-finance your home" and that you have a "cancelled Amazon order 18UIZ70-PZ0023".
Have fun with the WannaCry virus.

EBRAddict

Right, why would the Repairs Manager be sending out those messages? His job is to repair shit and/or watch other people repair shit. Clearly bait for some scam.

If you want to see some real loonies come out of the woodwork just list some used Apple products on CL...

somnif

Quote from: EBRAddict on June 10, 2017, 02:03:58 AM
Right, why would the Repairs Manager be sending out those messages? His job is to repair shit and/or watch other people repair shit. Clearly bait for some scam.

If you want to see some real loonies come out of the woodwork just list some used Apple products on CL...

His job title on Linkedin is "Customer Service & Repairs Manager", so its conceivable. Depends on what the return Email he sent it from is. Could be a scammer, could be an over zealous worker mistaking a pedal for one of theirs (ZVEX does have the reputation for being harsh on the DIY scene).

matmosphere

I would write zvex and let them know that you are concerned someone is trying to impersonate them to trick people into scams.