News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

September Happenings

Started by madbean, August 29, 2011, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

Awesome, I intend on building most of those. I really like the way you are using the board mounted pots on those layouts.
Pcbs no longer available

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on September 02, 2011, 12:33:21 PM
Good news, the Mistress project ("Current Lover") is verified. Sounds really slick :)

I made some adjustments to the layout so that the DPDT switch is now board mounted. This one is a go!
Can I make one tiny request for that layout if you haven't finished with it already... could you add pads for send & return if they'll fit so it can be used to make a Through Zero Flanger? Obviously that will require a track cut but it'd be nice to have the option there.

Otherwise, awesome layout! Does that fit a 1590B!?

How'd you get on with the DMM now you switched the Vdd & Gnd? All working okay? And did you see my comment on the Low Rider upper octave?
Works at Lectric-FX

madbean

Hey Scruff,

Yes, I will add a S/R on the Mistress. I had it on the original layout but forgot for this redesigned one. Thanks!
It is fitted for a 125B, although it may be possible to fit in a 1550B, which is slightly wider than the 1590 (and my new favorite enclosure). I won't have a chance to test an v3207 in this one, so that mod will be "unverified", but I think I've got it correct (same deal as switching the v3205 and MN3005, right)?

The DMM is going to be prototyped again before having it fabbed. There are too many changes now (merging the projects, BBD switching) and I will need to build the exact version I am releasing. A bit further delay, but it's worth getting right the first time. I will email you some details ASAP actually since I was hoping for your feedback. The good news is that if everything works out I will be able to get more made (since I'm merging the two different versions) and offer up the PCBs cheaper than I thought!

I did see your notes on the Octaver and they make perfect sense. I'm going to pull those caps and check it out.

Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder last night so I'm not able to do jack right now :(. I friggin' hate that!

jtn191

Quote from: madbean on September 02, 2011, 01:33:21 PM
A bit further delay, but it's worth getting right the first time. I will email you some details ASAP actually since I was hoping for your feedback.

ahahaha, I hope that pun was intentional

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on September 02, 2011, 01:33:21 PM
Hey Scruff,

Yes, I will add a S/R on the Mistress. I had it on the original layout but forgot for this redesigned one. Thanks!
It is fitted for a 125B, although it may be possible to fit in a 1550B, which is slightly wider than the 1590 (and my new favorite enclosure). I won't have a chance to test an v3207 in this one, so that mod will be "unverified", but I think I've got it correct (same deal as switching the v3205 and MN3005, right)?
Awesome! I thought a 1590B was wishful thinking, i'll check out that 1550B though... hard to get non-standard enclosures in the U.K. though, no one even stocks 125Bs! I'll have to order abroad.

You are correct on the 3205/3005 switching, Vdd & Gnd switch, as long as you remember the resistor on the outputs of the BBD (47k in this case) has to go to Gnd now instead of Voltage, whatever Pin 1 is connected to, the resistor on the output always has to follow suit, that's all that should be necessary.

The DMM is going to be prototyped again before having it fabbed. There are too many changes now (merging the projects, BBD switching) and I will need to build the exact version I am releasing. A bit further delay, but it's worth getting right the first time. I will email you some details ASAP actually since I was hoping for your feedback. The good news is that if everything works out I will be able to get more made (since I'm merging the two different versions) and offer up the PCBs cheaper than I thought!
Yes that seems pretty sensible, don't want a bunch of duff boards.

Well I can't complain at cheaper PCBs! I'm sure the wait will be worth it, does kinda make more sense to have both boards joined together... I wonder how many people out there actually have a spare set of 3005s.

No rush on the details! I'll try my best to give you some helpful feedback though.

QuoteI did see your notes on the Octaver and they make perfect sense. I'm going to pull those caps and check it out.

Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder last night so I'm not able to do jack right now :(. I friggin' hate that!
Let me know how that goes, I know it was two caps that are pulled but the picture Z.Vex Posted apparently (it's been pulled now) showed the circuit board so hopefully the silk screen matches the schematic.

Damn, I hate that too! I just pulled my back and now can't sit and breadboard either  :(
Works at Lectric-FX

madbean

Quote from: Scruffie on September 02, 2011, 02:32:52 PM

You are correct on the 3205/3005 switching, Vdd & Gnd switch, as long as you remember the resistor on the outputs of the BBD (47k in this case) has to go to Gnd now instead of Voltage, whatever Pin 1 is connected to, the resistor on the output always has to follow suit, that's all that should be necessary.

Got it. So, for example, on the CE-2 there is a 56k resistor off of pin7 which is connected to the VD supply for the MN3007 (where VD is 9v plus a small series resistor). For the v3207/MN3207 it needs to be switched to ground, as is the supply pin.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on September 02, 2011, 03:34:33 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on September 02, 2011, 02:32:52 PM

Got it. So, for example, on the CE-2 there is a 56k resistor off of pin7 which is connected to the VD supply for the MN3007 (where VD is 9v plus a small series resistor). For the v3207/MN3207 it needs to be switched to ground, as is the supply pin.

Yup! You can see it in practice on the CE-3 schematic http://synthdiy.com/files/2007/bossce-3.jpg

That applies to the whole Panasonic BBD range so you'll need to do this for the Electric Mistress, Dirtbag delay & CE-2.

The outputs are source terminals, so you have to hook them up like a source-follower.

I'm not sure about changes to the 3101/3102 though... never really used one, I assume you just do what you did in the Aquaboy for that bit.

If you can fit it on, I do suggest an 8V2 Zener set up as a shunt to supply 3205/7s with voltage as well, kind of a nice fail safe and keeps the BBD at a happy operating voltage.

Other than that though you're all set, Switched Power & Switched Resistor, should work on anything, 4047 & 4013 clocks don't care about the BBD they're driving, only the 3101/2 needs any kind of changing.
Works at Lectric-FX

BarryW

Dammit Brian!  I need to get back to my amp builds !  You've gotten me too good at small solder points and putting these together, I'm losing my amp building skills !   Cut it out !!!

Er, no, don't . . .

lloyd17

dang, the loris looks to have board mounted ruetz and clipping switch. that's real hot.

the pork barrel layout looks great as well, even if I add most of the mods from the old project it still seems an easier build than the old layout.

glad I waited a bit on these!

madbean

Thanks, lloyd17. I really like bringing some of the older projects up to date with better designs. Even though it is a bit costly to start new production runs on EgoDriver and Pork Barrel I think it's worth an extra expense. Scruffie has helped pushed me in the direction of board mounting things like pots and switches, and I gotta agree this is a much better approach. Reducing wiring to just in, out, ground and 9v makes life easier and a better building experience for everyone.

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on September 02, 2011, 11:24:31 PM
Thanks, lloyd17. I really like bringing some of the older projects up to date with better designs. Even though it is a bit costly to start new production runs on EgoDriver and Pork Barrel I think it's worth an extra expense. Scruffie has helped pushed me in the direction of board mounting things like pots and switches, and I gotta agree this is a much better approach. Reducing wiring to just in, out, ground and 9v makes life easier and a better building experience for everyone.
Haha, well I do hope I didn't just pester you in to adding on board pots to your layouts!

I do really appreciate your new layouts though, I was about to get out of building but the projects you're about to bring out... they've pretty much been dream builds of mine and i'm not kidding there, A 3205 DMM, 3207 CE-2 & Pearl OC-7 with on board pots have all been on my lists for over a year but I didn't think i'd see them.

I swapped to loving on board pots after my... third or 4th build... a Dr Boogey on vero no less, 18 wires just for the pots and keeping the right ones away from each other and making sure it wasn't a mess  ::) sooo much easier on board, I actually began to dread off board and as someone that likes a neat internal build...

Anyway, I could go on and sing the praises of on board pots but i'll just thank you for the new layout style  ;)  I hope it's serving you well as well!
Works at Lectric-FX

jubal81

With all this talk of board-mounted pots, what tips or tricks are there to getting the drilling spot on?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Melonhead

Quote from: jubal81 on September 03, 2011, 01:54:57 AM
With all this talk of board-mounted pots, what tips or tricks are there to getting the drilling spot on?

just a thought:   populate the board, including the board mounted pots, color in the ends of the pots with pencil,  press the attacked pots down onto a plain sheet of paper leaving circles on the paper.  use a center punch to transfer the paper template to the enclosure.   OR  use the template that madbean provides on the PDF.

this was a good start for me.   BUY A CENTER PUNCH.  seriously the best 2.50 ive ever spent.

lloyd17

I use pretty much the above technique to lay out my drilling patterns for board mounted pots. With the pots installed I flip the board shaft side down onto some graph paper taking care to choose one pot as the 'index' and line it up over an intersection on the paper. This let's you dead reckon equal distances to your other controls. Then make some careful marks around the shafts a bit. Pull up the board and using the graph paper figure out and mark where the holes 'should' be since pot lugs are always wonky. When you're satisfied with your knob position just tape the template to the face [minding your centerlines is key here] then centerpunch and drill away.

Fully agree with the centerpunch comment melonhead. All the layout care in the world goes straight down the tubes when your bit decides to skate.

jimmybjj

I don't know what the actual layouts that Brian is going to produce are going to look like, but the layouts in this thread have center points that you can use your punch on.
Pcbs no longer available