News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Semi-OT: jamming over the internet (re: Cosmopolitan build docs)

Started by MattG, January 27, 2022, 10:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattG

In the build docs for the Cosmopolitan (fantastic pedal BTW!), it says:
Quote(The Cosmopolitan) plays very well with the Strymon Iridium. This has been an essential part of my sound since most of my jamming these days is done remotely over the internet with my musical buddies.
(Emphasis added.)  Just wondering if @madbean or anyone else can share the full tool/software chain they use for jamming over the internet?

I've always assumed that lag/latency would be an issue, but what is written above suggests it may be a viable way to jam when getting together physically just isn't possible.

Thanks!

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

Everything I've seen suggest that lag due to the internet signal transmission would make it impossible.

Bio77

There are a few internet services that claim to handle the latency issue.  I forget the names, but I was looking into this at the start of the pandemic. 

madbean

We use Ninjam run as a plugin in Reaper.

Graham is in Illinois. He hosts the ninjam session. I am in Tenn, Mike is in the UK and Daniel is in Texas.
The only problem we have with lag is with Daniel, surprisingly, even though three of us are in the same time zone. I think he is running either a standalone (outside of Reaper) or maybe Jamtaba to connect. So, we do sometimes have him out of sync. But the rest of us have no issue. We've recorded like 100+ hours of jams over the last two years. We also run a Zoom concurrently so we have video on all of us during the jam sessions.

What we're doing right now is Zoom meetings then hosting Reaper as screen share. That way we can review the previously recorded Reaper sessions in real time then edit them into arrangements, etc as you would in any DAW.

It's pretty crazy!

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?