News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda First-World Problem Mini-Rant/Review

Started by Vice/President, February 13, 2014, 07:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice/President

Because none of my friends care to hear me whine about this, I thought I'd vent for a bit to you guys.  I ordered from Tayda for the first time last week.  I'm building a Cerulean Overdrive to the Morning Glory specs, and I ordered all components and hardware from Tayda.   

The positive:  I've only ordered from Mammoth in the past, but found Tayda was significantly cheaper.  I was able to get about 10 times the amount of components from Tayda for the same price I pay at Mammoth. I ordered lots of extra components and also some extra hardware and still only spent $25.  My order arrived in just 6 days, a day earlier than they had projected at checkout.  I was really happy with this.

The negative:  THEY ONLY SENT ME TWO POTENTIOMETERS.  I needed two 100k and a 25k pot, but the package was missing one of the 100k pots.  They gave me a $2 credit to their site to compensate, but still...I was so excited to get the pedal going and now I can't.  Life is just so hard  ;) I know it's not actually a big deal, but it still sucks that I had to order another pot for 60 cents and then pay $5 for shipping. 

I ended up ordering the missing pot from Mammoth last night, as well as some extra cable for making my own patch cables. 

Sob story over.

rullywowr

It happens however from what I hear with mammoth....you may be waiting a long time for that pot.  Good luck!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

bcalla

I have to say that I have placed quite a few orders with Tayda, most with a lot of components.  The only problem I ever had was one package of pots (there were 5 in the baggie) had no washers or nuts.  I e-mailed them and asked for the missing items and they sent me 5 new pots.  Their shipping is generally fast and accurate.  People are more likely to have problems with the quality of some of their components.  I've been lucky so far.

slacker775

I've ordered bunches of times from Tayda often with lots of items and I think they've only messed up once, I ordered 1uF box caps an got 470nF or something like that.

jimilee

My problem is that I keep ordering 1/2 watt resistors, :-/
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

derevaun

I got some pots with missing nuts & washers too. Fortunately, Smallbear sells a little baggie of nuts & washers. I've stocked up with Tayda in the past and will probably do so in the future, but for project-specific orders, I consider Smallbear worth the extra expense.

I'm a pretty low volume builder, and the time I can shake free to tinker with pedal audio is more valuable to me than the cost differences. It definitely hurts my feelings for a few minutes to have to shelve a build because of that one missing part.

chromesphere

Quote from: jimilee on February 14, 2014, 12:46:37 AM
My problem is that I keep ordering 1/2 watt resistors, :-/

lol Jimi, I've done this more then once myself...

Yeah, usually order accuracy isn't a problem for me.  As someone else put it in another thread tayda component quality "resembles that of faecal matter".  I'd agree with that generally, their pots are fine, film caps are so so, resistors belong in the garbage, trimpots are below average, I don't know why anyone would pay 1.20 for their jacks when you can get neutrik for the same cost, moan moan...I guess you have to be selective.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Their shipping costs far, far less for me than Smallbear or Mouser (Mouser always adds the RKITB upcharge for shipping.)

Edit -- that said, I've gone right off their neutrik-clone jacks, and their power sockets.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

I had a similar issue. After hearing here that their pots are good while some of the other stuff they sell isn't, I placed a 45$ order just pots. The label one of the bags with 2, but it only had one in it. I didn't even complain, since the rest was really well executed and it's just one pot that I ordered just for some not yet existing future build.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Vice/President

Quote from: derevaun on February 14, 2014, 04:30:36 AM
I got some pots with missing nuts & washers too. Fortunately, Smallbear sells a little baggie of nuts & washers. I've stocked up with Tayda in the past and will probably do so in the future, but for project-specific orders, I consider Smallbear worth the extra expense.

I'm a pretty low volume builder, and the time I can shake free to tinker with pedal audio is more valuable to me than the cost differences. It definitely hurts my feelings for a few minutes to have to shelve a build because of that one missing part.

Yeah, I also threw in some of their pancake plugs on this order.  I only ordered four, but one was missing a small screw, so it's basically unusable.  I did make a cable out of one set though, they seem to work just fine.  Was really difficult to solder to ground though, wish it had some sort of ground post.

davent

With the pancakes i received the plug's shafts would turn in the body and was also missing a screw as well so i'd say lesson learned.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Quote from: davent on February 17, 2014, 03:03:55 AM
With the pancakes i received the plug's shafts would turn in the body and was also missing a screw as well so i'd say lesson learned.

Yeah, same here.  I wired a cable and it didn't last very long.  I threw the rest of them out.  Total junk.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper