News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chimaera not working.

Started by Stig, August 24, 2014, 09:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stig

I all. I posted this at the GC forum, but no response, so now I give the beaners a go :)

I jumped on the Chimaera when i heard that it was going to be discontinued, dispite of having build to Kingslayer and the Sunking II. I wanted to try out the findings over at BYOC. Cant get enough of dirt pedals :D

There has been a couple of things with this build:
First the gain pot didn' t work properly. There were clean signal but when I turn up the gain it cuts the signal. I have checked the pot and swapped C7 and C8. Both ways actually. I checked the diodes and couldn' t get a reading with my DMM(When someone writes DMM I always read Deluxe Memory Man :lol: ). So I unsoldered the diodes and put sockets instead. That did not solve the problem, the diodes did work I have no idea why I couldn' t get a reading.

Now theres no sound, only motor boating/oscillation. I reflowed over some of the solder joints and noticed there seems to be a tracelift around the diodes. I don' t feel like I have used eccesive heat in removing the diodes, But apparantly enough.

Are there any way I can make the connection flow again after the lifted trace?

The board looks pretty scuffed up as I have been working on it a lot, quite abit more than usual, but I have attached some pics.

Thanks in advance :)

selfdestroyer

You may want to post this over at http://www.grindcustomsfx.com/forum/

I know Rej (Grindcustoms) likes to keep his troubleshooting on his forum for archive to help others with his PCBs.

Just a thought. Hope you get it going.

Cody

muddyfox

i think he mentioned way up that he already posted there.
i have nothing else of substance to offer other than an audioprobe suggestion, seeing how i never built a chimera ... :)

selfdestroyer

This is what happens when I get up before noon on a Sunday. Ignore me. I can't believe I read right past that.

Cody

Stig

Thanks for your replys. I Will wait for a response over at gc.

TGP39

Hi Stig. I just finished one of these. There has been massive confusion regarding C7 and C8 due to the silk screen error.  Your gain pot would have acted as you described it if C7 and C8 were reversed. It looks like you desoldered them and switched them in the above picture. They are now in the right place, but I'm not sure if you did any damage while resoldering?   Sometimes dead or lifted traces happen when desoldering. I'm not sure how to fix the board when/if this occurred. Hope this helps a little. Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

GrindCustoms

I do my round on the board once à day and get through the action on there. Since there's not much traffic other than the occasional trouble shoots.

Checking it there now.

Rej

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/