News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It's been a while....... ChunkChunk and CurrentLover

Started by DutchMF, May 30, 2012, 07:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Hi all!

Been a while since I last posted any new builds, so here're two in one build report! First up: ChunkChunk

Nothing to special about it, except for the headaches I got wiring and biasing this monster! It's been an ongoing battle of soldering, swearing, biasing, swearing some more, getting away from it for a while and repeating the whole damn thing, but it's done and sounds quite good! Not sure about the knobs, maybe a bit big, don't you think?

Board is held in place by the mess of wires, and check out the marked pots..... Couldn't remember what was what.......  ???

Next up: CurrentLover

This went a lot better than the CC, and started flanging just fine the second time I tried biasing it (first time it took almost 10 minutes of twisting pots for me to realize I forgot to put Q2 in its socket, doh!!  :D)
Gonna put it head-to-head with my Electric Mistress very soon!

As you can see, wiring is loads cleaner, I'm really happy with that wiring job. Knobs are on loan from my Bananasplit Dual Overdrive, still haven't decided what would look good, so suggestions are welcome.

There's so much free space on both of these pedals that I feel obliged to try my hand on some graphics, maybe this weekend....... Still on the workbench/washing machine: Bloviator and Wolfshirt, both tested, working and ready to box up. And some new boards and a sh*tload of new parts on the way!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

Nice Dutch. Are you doing your own Powdercoating too?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

I was curious about that too! These are some nice colors. Are you still getting the painted Hammonds from Mouser? I think those knobs are a good choice for the Current Lover. I like the box layout too--I kind of thought about doing something like that instead of a 125b, if I build one of these, that is! I've got my hands full with a Cosmo, Wolfshirt, Low Rider, and a mess of overdrives! Only the Cosmo is ready to box, so not sure what to build next...

I wonder how some Davies 1400-style would look on the Chunk-Chunk? I like those big ones though--my Buzzaround has those, except white.

alanp

Big knobs are better in that they are a lot easier to turn, but it does make labelling a bit tricky. Chunk wiring is easier if you do links between pots where necessary rather than wire every single tab to the board.

Glad your Current Lover works! Mine is still not flanging. I'm going to pinch your 1590BB layout, though  ;D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DutchMF

Thanx guys!

These are still the Hammond factory finished boxes I bought from Mouser, wish I could powdercoat like that because they do look good! If you look carefully you can see that I already damaged the green one during boxing up the CurrentLover  :(

@Alanp: I know you already mentioned the simpler wiring, not sure why I didn't use it  ??? If you like I can send you the drilling template as a pdf.

I have a bunch af different knobs on the way, incl the type 1400, so I guess I'll experiment some....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"