News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wolfshirt 2012

Started by WonkoTheSane, February 09, 2023, 02:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WonkoTheSane

I got a board from a friend who sent me a load of stuff from his failed attempts at building stuff. Another friend had sent me NOS transistors and diodes for a Foxx Tone Machine, so I built it for him.

I haven't made anything in over 10 years, and it's nice to get back into it. I have to say the circuit board is outstanding quality and I appreciated that the build docs were still available with drilling template. It turned out great and sounds awesome and just as good if not better than any vintage Tone Machine I've owned, repaired or tried. I'm going to buy the newer board and build myself one as I have more NOS transistors and diodes.

That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

jessenator

Nice! I'm in a similar boat, in that I've only this last March gotten back into DIY. The bug has got you again ;D I have to say I'm envious of the quality of your wiring. When I jumped back in it was medusa on a bad hair (snake?) day.

That board takes me back! My first MB project (EgoDriver) from probably the same vintage as your board.

WonkoTheSane

Quote from: jessenator on February 09, 2023, 03:49:47 AM
Nice! I'm in a similar boat, in that I've only this last March gotten back into DIY. The bug has got you again ;D I have to say I'm envious of the quality of your wiring. When I jumped back in it was medusa on a bad hair (snake?) day.

I actually fix stuff for a living, I just haven't had time to build anything in ages. I've been lurking around all the places for a few decades now, sans the 10 years or so I was out of the game.

Thank you for the wiring compliment, it's a little sloppy still, but I was happy with it after not doing it for so long. I need some better wire with teflon coating and better tinning so it doesn't melt and I don't have to wait for it to cool down before moving it.

I actually want another of this same board, I looked at the newer one and I prefer the compactness of this particular one. For my own build I would change it over to use a Carling foot switch as they are less prone to breaking. However my friend wanted the LED and I didn't feel like rigging up millenium bypass so I used an alpha.

jessenator

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on February 09, 2023, 05:16:24 AM
I actually fix stuff for a living, I just haven't had time to build anything in ages.

I take it back; your boat is more soundly engineered  ;D ;D

Glad you're liking it.

WonkoTheSane

I'm totally enjoying it, going to buy a few more boards soon and build a few things for myself.

I'm glad there is stuff like this available as I haven't taken the plunge into PCB design yet, but I have been making schematics in Eagle. I just need to take the next step, and learn the do's and don't of PCB design which I guess you probably only get by experience when it comes to pedals.

jessenator