News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny with mods

Started by druz15, August 03, 2011, 04:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

druz15

got it all boxed up and working sweet, because of the pre-drilled layout was pretty tricky to fit everything in even though the enclosure is big, if the jacks and LED holes were slightly lower would have been so much easier but oh well. Will take some pictures soon and get them up.
Mudbunny built to Green Russian Specs, with a switch to change the tonestack between stock and Rams Head settings, a very nice but subtle change, Russian mode is a tad brighter and less scoopy, Rams Head darker and scoopier (obviously) and also a switch to bypass the tone section altogether (รก la BMP with Tone Wicker) which gives a big boost and a huge open sound. This thing sounds great through my handwired 1987x Plexi with a telecaster, way better than the muddy sound I got out of the Current USA Big Muff.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome! I'm excited to see the finished product.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

druz15

ahhh camera memory full, will get some pics up after work tonight. will get some soundclips done too.
Of course will have to take everything out when I paint it but my toaster oven should arrive today so should be able to get it done and boxed up on the weekend

nzCdog

druz15

painting enclosure now so may as well take pics when I'm done with that.
Sorry for the delays with pedal pron + messy gutshots haha :P

bigmufffuzzwizz

Nothing wrong with messy guts. I haven't opened up an old muff that doesn't have messy wiring inside.

druz15

gutshot

enclosure after a couple coats. Toaster oven works wonders for getting a nice even finish

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks great already! I haven't used a toaster oven yet for drying, but it sounds like I gotta try it. Are you using spray paint? Does it appear somewhat chip resistant after baking, cause mine chip like the black plague if your not really careful which defeats the purpose of a stompbox.

druz15

yeah spraycans. I painted a bunch a couple years back and left them outside for around 6-8 hours to dry and had about 2 clear coats on too and they're quite chipped and scuffed, this dries in around 30 min in an oven and it feels like it's really 'baked' into the enclosure and won't come off so easily. Of course I won't know until I've been stomping on it for a couple months but this way seems a lot more permanent

irmcdermott

just make sure that you never cook food in the oven you bake your boxes in :)

i got my toaster oven for enclosure baking at Goodwill. They ALWAYS have a TON, and if you go on the first Saturday of each month, the whole store is half off. I got mine for like $3

Ian

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: druz15 on August 08, 2011, 04:04:23 AM
yeah spraycans. I painted a bunch a couple years back and left them outside for around 6-8 hours to dry and had about 2 clear coats on too and they're quite chipped and scuffed, this dries in around 30 min in an oven and it feels like it's really 'baked' into the enclosure and won't come off so easily. Of course I won't know until I've been stomping on it for a couple months but this way seems a lot more permanent

Yea I've been meaning to try this for awhile now. Do you bake around 150 degrees or higher?
I know not to cook food from the same one... ;D

irmcdermott

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on August 08, 2011, 04:47:00 AM
Yea I've been meaning to try this for awhile now. Do you bake around 150 degrees or higher?
I know not to cook food from the same one... ;D

150 sounds right... its been a while since I've used it.

druz15

Quote from: irmcdermott on August 08, 2011, 04:39:25 AM
just make sure that you never cook food in the oven you bake your boxes in :)

i got my toaster oven for enclosure baking at Goodwill. They ALWAYS have a TON, and if you go on the first Saturday of each month, the whole store is half off. I got mine for like $3

Ian
Yeah I have a dedicated toaster oven that cost me $10 2nd hand.
I have been doing it at around 100 degrees. Can do it lower and then be able to handle it afterwards but just takes longer, 100 is about right I reckon but don't see anything wrong with 150

druz15

arghh so finally got the enclosure painted up and was ready to post final build pics but the circuit was sitting out the box for a week and at some point some of the pot --> board wires got loose, and I think maybe my rats may have had a few nibbles at some wires too, so need to debug tomorrow, but hopefully will be finished it then.

Good news is my enclosures for other pedals came from smallbear today, and they accidentally shipped me 2 1790s instead of 1, I emailed them and they said just to keep it rather than hassle shipping it back, so have to decide what to build for that now.
Tossing up bewteen a mother of all RAT's build with heaps of switching options and a footswitchable boost or a hotcake + prunes & custard in one, or even a quadrovibe/+ other mod big box project

bigmufffuzzwizz

O Sounds like a score! There's a sweet 4 knob rat project over at beavis audio that's got a ton of options and switches. Any of the projects you mentioned sound very worthy!