News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Illustrator question - colors with vector pack items

Started by Bret608, July 05, 2012, 08:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

So, I've been goofing around with Illustrator, just trying stuff out on files some of you all have sent me, and now I've had some success in using the pedal vector pack and the type tool to crank out some very simple decal templates, really just labels more so than artwork or anything.

My question is this--I've basically been grabbing the "top of box" images to give me a simple border to work with. Then I just use the type tool to put some labels for knobs, in/out, etc. The box image seems to give a good ready-to-use border. How would I change the color of that to match the color of the text? Whenever I try, I just end up dumping color all into the entire border, thus obscuring the font.

Example: I'm trying to make a decal for a Pepper Spray (either a new one or a rebox of my old one), and I'm using a brown font to get that kind of bland Harmonic Percolator look. I thought it would look cool against an almond or beige kind of enclosure. I'm hoping to make the 1590b box image from the vector pack into a brown border for the decal so that it'll match the font.

Thanks for any pointers!

jkokura

I don't know for Illustrator, but for Inkscape what you're talking about is transform to live. If something starts as an object, you have to transform it in order to be able to isolate it in Inkscape. Perhaps it's similar.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

2tonewarrior

I think I dont understand you very well sorry. Do you want to change the border color of the 1590B image of the vector pack, doesn´t you?

Bret608

Jacob, I do see a transform feature, but after that I don't see an option for live. I'll dig around a bit more for equivalents.

2tonewarrior, you are correct about what I'm trying to do.

2tonewarrior

First, if you import an archive to illustrator it becomes a group. If you select it with the black select tool you´ll select the whole group. You can select only the border you want in the layers panel or by clicking twice on the group with the black select tool, that isolate the group and can select the objects inside it. Another option is to use the white select tool but is not the best idea.

Another great solution is to create yourself the border with the rounded rectangle too (I have illustrator in spanish, don´t know the exact translation)

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

Just wanted to say thanks! This worked out just fine. With the vector pack in hand, I'm gaining steam with this program quickly. May have another question to post here shortly...