News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First 1590a build (Afterlife) and another KLONe (for me this time)

Started by Geosh, October 22, 2012, 05:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geosh

Well, after building my first Klone (then having a friend take it off my hands) and my second Klone (and having HIS friend take it off my hands) I have finally built one that I am keeping. I learned a lot off the first 2 and measured a bunch of dual gang pots to find the best matched ones I had. I also used the "correct" carbon comp and carbon film resistors. It sounds great. My buddy has a real silver Klon and this one sounds every bit as good. My sister sketched out a new Griffin for the logo so it would be unique to the other 2 I made. Also, now it has a more personal touch.

The 1590a is an Afterlife comp and is my first foray into baby board builds. I thought this would be a good first build since it is a pretty straight forward circuit and not too much stuff to try to cram in a tiny box. Overall, I love it. Everything works great, the build was not too difficult, and I LOVE the tiny footprint. Oh, and the build sounds GREAT. Thanks a bunch Brian!

Next time, I will be trying another 1590a that is a little more complex. It is strangely addicting getting all that stuff in a tiny enclosure.

Ignore the sloppy glue holding the LED in. I got a little carried away.

midwayfair

Nice work! I like your logo, too.

And welcome to the mini pedal addiction. It's a $20-a-week habit.

GrindCustoms

Nice!

Could you explain a bit more your «correct» carbon comp resistor positionning? I feel like you're about to work for RokBox....hehe

Jon could'nt have said it better about the mini's.... ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Geosh

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 22, 2012, 10:33:34 PM
Nice!

Could you explain a bit more your «correct» carbon comp resistor positionning? I feel like you're about to work for RokBox....hehe

Jon could'nt have said it better about the mini's.... ;)

Ha ha! I only said it because everyone says all the tonez are in the hand selected mojo infused components with aligned crystal lattices. My first build was all metal film resistors and box caps and it sounded really good, but it wasn't 100% to the real Klon. (I have a silver non-horsie Klon to compare with).

The second 2 builds were all Panasonic poly and electro caps (to the extent possible) and carbon comp & carbon film resistors in the places they "should be" to coincide with a real Klon (except for the metal film "tee-pee" resistors, since I was short one resistor on this last build). Also, I made sure to select "matched" dual gang pots (basically by buying a bunch and choosing the best of the batch). One build was on vero with the "correct" odd component values from the Freestompboxes KLONED project. This one followed your BOM (except the 5.1k resistor was subbed for 4.99k). Both of these 2 builds just sounded a little better to me. They had a bit smoother high end. This is probably due more to matching the dual gang pot (which I didn't do on the first one) than the components though, but I can't say for certain. I changed too much from the first build to know exactly what had the bigger effect.

All I know is the first one sounded good... but this one sounds GOOD!  ;D   2 of the 3 were built on your boards BTW.

GrindCustoms

Tonez............lololol! ok......it passed.

But that's cool, i understand the wish of getting closer to the real thing as possible.

I think i'll soon populate an Over-Mojo board....just for the heck of it........and i will say that you made me do it...hahaha
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Geosh

Don't blame me. You made the boards, and you are the reason I got in this Klone mess in the first place. ;D

Well, I might blame Brian too since I built a Kingslayer too.

I've got a fever, and the only perscription is more cowbell KLONes!!