News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pepper Spray, very low output.

Started by BraindeadAudio, January 22, 2012, 12:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraindeadAudio

Works, but doesnt sound like its switching between the clipping on the switch, and the output is extra low. Cant tell if the switch is working properly though until I get the volume situated. Any ideas? Also not geting enough power to light the LED for some reason, it lights and then drops down and goes out. Odd.

madbean

You've got a solder bridge somewhere I think. Or a faulty cap. Something is draining the 9v supply, hence the low output and dimming LED.

BraindeadAudio

All caps check good, reflowed solder still good. Maybe its the sockets for the transistors? I socketed both of them?

BraindeadAudio

Also the led now lights fine but its still quiet

Bret608

Does it still seem like nothing happens when you switch between diodes? And if so how's the gain? On the stock germanium diodes, it does seem the balance has to be dimed to get above unity gain. I was expecting that though. Just wondering if your switch is only working on one the quieter diode options. I've got my trannies socketed too, but it gets plenty loud on the non-stock diodes.

Cheers,

Bret

plesur

I've got the germanium diodes in mine and you have to have the volume (balance?) on full to get it to match.

If you watch the Albini video he says the only setting he uses is both dials on full.  :)

Bret608

I totally agree with Albini on this and used the Albini specs for my build! The non-diode and silicon diode settings are louder, but I really prefer the fuzzy grind of the germaniums with both knobs all the way up.

BraindeadAudio

Compared to my other pedals I have made, no it is alot quieter. I had it in my pedal chain, with the knobs full tilt and my signal dropped to about half what it was previously. no solder bridges, everythings wired right and tests good its just quiet. Ordering a few more transistors to see if maybe I got a beater.

lyons_j

I'm having exactly the same symptoms (i didn't wire in an LED so not seeing that).

Checked all the components and all seems fine, I'm going to go over the board with a scalpel to rule out any bad joins. Any news on resolution apreciated  :-[

cheers,

james

Bret608

Hey, here's something I hadn't though of...could trannies facing the wrong way cause the output too low? Or would the pedal just not work at all then? I agree; if you're getting less than unity volume in Ge diodes-mode with both knobs dimed, something is amiss.

I would also agree with Brian that there could be some power supply issue. I just say that because I remember some folks bringing up a volume drop issue with the Chuck Collins reissue of the HP-1, and he found he had inadvertently used some bad battery clips. Bad power supply cap maybe?

plesur

Quote from: Bret608 on January 30, 2012, 02:49:28 PM
Hey, here's something I hadn't though of...could trannies facing the wrong way cause the output too low?

From what I can remember, the circuit does work with the transistors the wrong way round but isn't very loud. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Bret608

Quote from: plesur on January 30, 2012, 03:14:07 PM

From what I can remember, the circuit does work with the transistors the wrong way round but isn't very loud. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Cool! Braindeadaudio, let us know if this does anything if you reverse the direction of a transistor...I know for me, the 2n3565 was confusing to figure out as far as which was the emitter, etc. I ended up using the transitor tester on my DMM to just see if I could get an Hfe value that made sense. Then Bigmufffuzzwhiz here on the forum helped confirm. I get above unity gain in terms of volume so I'm thinking it worked. Try it and see if this is your suspect. The 2n404a was a breeze as the little tab on the transistor conformed to the PCB silkscreen markings exactly.