News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Taste the meat, not the heat...Meatbox

Started by Thewintersoldier, April 26, 2023, 01:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

This is something I've had for a number of years unbuilt and wasn't sure If I would get to it. In a rather serendipitous way I'm glad to have finally built this, and for one of my biggest diy idols no less. In a recent build electric mistress build report for Big Monk I mentioned I liked building for friends, as I have done for various people on the forum and I tend to go all in on these builds. I was shocked and extremely flattered that @Betty Wont wanted to have a pedal. I jumped at the opportunity because anyone who knows me can tell you that Betty is one of my biggest inspirations and the measuring stick for my builds.

When I got back into building in 2017 I remember coming across Betty's builds on eBay and Reverb. The minimalist aesthetic and the clean guts inside were captivating. Most small builds or diy had armature written all over them. Excessive flux, crooked and burnt caps and terrible wiring...but not here. Everything was pristine, refined and pro looking. The offboard wiring struck a chord with me, so clean, and I aspired for that for years. Even the 3pdt boards I bought were because of Betty, truly the best out there. Being able to do this build was special for many reasons. To be able to build for a mentor and to feel respected by someone of that caliper is a real honor. Respect, plain and simple. I've had this board and chip since 2019, and many times I have heard Betty say that her first and favorite pedal was the meatbox, and I jumped on the opportunity like flies on rancid meat to build this.

The build itself is standard fair. I used the W100k pots for the flank and Rump controls like the original. For the Enclosure I went with a red tayda enclosure and UV printing. For my design I wanted to have a mix of my signature look as well as a nod to the original and I think it turned out pretty damn good. I went with The Juggernaut, a meathead on a meatbox lol. It makes my think of the classic 90s x-men episode made famously in the early 00s on youtube...I'm the juggernaut bitch! I went with the classic rullywow 3pdt board and black wiring to match the outside look. I'm truly thrilled to be able to do this build for someone I look up to and have learned so much from over the years and they will enjoy a pedal that they truly love. so remember taste the meat, not the heat 🫦🚬

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Man, that is absolutely stellar. I've been wondering about that pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

hell yeah! sweet is the meat! It's super cool when another builder asks you to build them something, congrats!

Bio77

Dude!  That's awesome!  Also a big fan of Betty, very cool build report and story. 

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on April 26, 2023, 03:06:19 PM
Man, that is absolutely stellar. I've been wondering about that pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jimi, I can see why the bass guys in the 90s loved it so much.

Quote from: jessenator on April 26, 2023, 04:24:48 PM

hell yeah! sweet is the meat! It's super cool when another builder asks you to build them something, congrats!
I think building for others is always the most gratifying.

Quote from: Bio77 on April 26, 2023, 07:46:14 PM
Dude!  That's awesome!  Also a big fan of Betty, very cool build report and story. 
Thanks John, I think the builds we do for other builders, especially around here are always a blast and bring out the best in us.
Who the hell is Bucky?

blackhatboojum

This build turned out awesome!  What an honor to build for someone who, I too have much love and respect for.  Stellar work!
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.